8

Four years later...

Aria POV

I tied the shoelaces of my sneakers, got up from the front steps of my house and started my morning run as always. Run as a human I mean my wolf runs were mostly reserved for late afternoons till sunset. I ran past the children as they walked towards to school they always stop and scream my name, waving at me frantically for me to acknowledge them.

"Hey little warriors" I say slowing down slightly "want to run with me to school?" They all cheer and follow me surprisingly keeping up with me with ease. I wave goodbye to them when we reach the school. The pack has drastically changed since the war ended our wildflower and natural herb trade is booming increasing our pack's economy tenfold. It's almost like the old Noctis Insulam didn't even exist now just like any pack we have lavish homes, access to technology and healthcare and we are finally able to live in peace. I make my way towards the arena which has now been reconstructed back to its former glory. Pack soldiers are already training there running around the tracks and lifting weights. Scott is looking over everyone making sure they don't slack off in their training. Once they notice me everyone drops what they are doing and stands in a line.

"Soldiers take five" I order them which they know perfectly well is their cue to leave.

"If you wanted me all to yourself at least you could've chosen a more secluded spot" Scott teased with a sly grin. He always flirts like this to bug me.

"How can I resist being away" I said rolling my eyes "where's Bryon?"

"He's at the warehouse its loading day today remember" replies Scott

"I know that he should've have already sent the trucks half an hour ago and reached here to tell me the goods are on their way." I said

"I'll check with him through my mindlink" Scott said.

I sat down on one of the benches to drink some water.

"Aria there seems to be a problem" Scott said

"Problem?" I asked

"The road to the east has been hit by a landslide" Scott said. Noctis Insulam had only two roads leading outside the pack one that went through Bridgestone which was closed permanently and the other to the east which we used to get in and out the pack plus for transporting goods.

"Landslide? But we didn't even have heavy rainfall last night plus we took the necessary measures to avoid this during construction" I said still shocked by the news.

"I don't think just last night's rain caused it, it's been raining continually for the past week which might have caused the soil to flow gradually" suggested Scott

"We can't be late Scott. I just got off the phone last night with Declan the Blue Moon pack needs the herbs immediately" I said. Although werewolves normally never get sick but when we do normal human medicine doesn't work on us instead we have wild flowers and herbs that act as contraceptives, prevent silver poisoning and problems with old age. The water of the Blue Moon had been contaminated by silver due to humans in nearby towns unknowingly polluting it with the element. A third of the pack was in dire need of the cure.

"Well we have no any other option Aria" said Scott

"No we have an option but we're choosing to ignore it" I told him

"But Aria" countered Scott but I stopped him

"The Blue Moon is in a crisis and I can't let them die even though there is a perfectly good road to transport them the necessary medication" I said "I'm making the call"

I walked out of the arena and made my way towards my office remembering the phone call I got four years ago. I can't believe he was actually right...

That night it was pouring and thunder roared through the darkness. I was in my office signing documents to get the construction started immediately when the phone rang.

"Hello" I said as I picked up the phone looking through the file I had in my hand. "Hello" I said again after a few seconds of silence and was about to put the phone back down when I heard his voice.

"Hello. May I talk to Alpha Aria Knight" he said. It seemed like I had heard my name for the first time his voice almost causing me to forget who I am.

"I am Aria Knight" I don't know if I was answering him or telling myself that "may I know who is speaking?"

"I'm Dylan" he said "Dylan Black"

I fell silent for a few seconds realising who was on the other line. It was like my mind went blank as he said his name.

"Why have you called Dylan?" I managed to say

"Talon told me everything" he said. My senses seemed to comeback to me and I was finally able to see the situation clearly.

"As I told Talon there is no chance of an alliance" I said

"No it's not about that" he said "I just wanted to say sorry"

"For what? Your pack's past actions I think we have passed the point to say sorry and forgive" I snapped

"No I'm sorry for pressing the issue of the alliance and just freshening your wounds. I just didn't think.." he explained but I interrupted him

"Our wounds are still fresh Dylan"

"I... I am really sorry but I do want to say this much you might not want an alliance with us but I promise to help your pack in whichever way I can without asking anything in return" Dylan said

"We don't need Bridgestone's help" I said bitterly

"I know you say that now but you never know what might happen tomorrow. That's the thing with tomorrows isn't it, I thought I'd never be an Alpha and live a carefree live in Midnight Moon with my friends but here I am running a pack and working my ass off because of all the screw ups the old Alpha did. All I'm saying if you ever need me you can call"

"Somethings you know will never happen Dylan Black and I know I will never call you or your pack for help" I hung up the phone but today his words ring in my ears.

You never know what might happen tomorrow.

He was right. Now four years later I pick up the phone to call the one person I said I would never call for help.

"Hello, Bridgestone pack may I know who you wish to speak to?" Asked a female voice.

"I would like to speak to Dylan Black tell him it's Aria Knight"