Chapter 7

"How do I know what I'm seeing in this dream catcher is real?" I ask. Pan takes the dream catcher from me and touches it to his forehead. He tilts it towards me so we can both see the middle of it.

"Show me Milah." He says.

Wait what? Why would he want to see Milah?

The image of Emma slowly fades away and is replaced by a dimly lit room. Once the image focuses, I can make out that it's showing the same room that we're in - the large dark green sofa in this room to be exact. Pan turns round and looks behind us at the same green sofa.

"Milah?" I ask. I walk over to the sofa and peer behind it, praying that I don't see my fiancée. However, the telltale head of dark brown hair tells me that my prayers haven't been answered.

She heard everything.

She looks up at me. Her eyes are hard and she looks at me coldly. I run my fingers through my hair and rub my forehead.

"Milah, come out love."

"Don't call me that Killian."

"Someone's angry..." Pan says from the middle of the room, making a sarcastic face. I glare at him, and Milah marches from behind the sofa over to Pan, and snatches the dream catcher from his hand. Touching it to her head, she says;

"Show me who Killian Jones is in love with." I realise too late what she's trying to do, and try to grab it off her.

"Milah..." I say, exasperated.

Acknowledging that there's nothing I can do, I turn to watch the dream catcher. The middle stays blank for a while, then gold streaks encircle Milah, and then an image of a beautiful, laughing blonde-haired girl appears. The picture fades, and Milah turns to me with glistening eyes, waiting for an explanation. I sigh.

"Lets go back to camp. We can talk about this privately." I say, glancing at Pan. He looks expectantly at me.

"Captain?? Our deal?" He says.

"It'll have to wait."

"Sunset is your deadline. After that, I'm going to have to do this the hard way." I'm about to lose my patience, so I just say;

"Fine. Sunset." I say, and half drag Milah back to the camp.

****

Milah's POV

"You should've told me Killian!!" I yell at him. I feel completely broken - he doesn't love me, and whats worse is that he loves someone else instead.

"They were only dreams, I didn't think they meant anything." He says, obviously annoyed by the whole thing.

"Well what about this girl? Emma?" I can see that Killian is trying not to smile despite everything that's happening.

"She might not even be real, I really don't know." He replies. There's no point in trying to talk to him.

"Of course she's real! You just saw her, didn't you?!" I cry, fighting back tears. "And w-what about us?"

"Milah, I just need some time. I'll get over it, we can get married and our life together can go on."

I shake my head.

"You know that's a lie." I say. Killian looks at the ground. Worn out by this arguing, I try and compose myself and ask; "What was your deal with Pan?"

"I don't really want to talk about it." This is when I lose it.

"Killian!! Stop being so uncooperative! No more secrets! Haven't you done enough damage for one day?!" I scream.

"You're right," he says softly. It's irritating how calm he is. "I've hurt you so much today that it won't matter if I hurt you again now. I'm not finishing my quest to look for the treasure. I'm going to stay in Neverland with Pan and find Emma." He looks me straight in the eye while saying this. I clutch my forehead and stumble back a little when I realise what he's saying. "It's either that or Pan kills me. I presume you don't want that."

My heart softens a little when he says this.

"I'm sorry, Killian. Of course I don't want you to die, but I just wish you had told me about Emma." I pause and think about what I'm about to say, not sure If I want to hear the answer. "Did you ever love me?"

He looks at me sadly.

"Yes. I loved you, and I have meant every word I've said to you. I did want to marry you, but something... something changed. It wasn't anything you did, I promise. I guess it's fate."

I laugh at this.

"You've never struck me as being someone who believes in fate, Killian."

"Milah, you deserve someone so much better than me. I'm sorry love."

I smile faintly at hearing him say my nickname he always used to say.

"I forgive you. I just want you to be happy." I say, mostly truthful.

I want him to be happy with me. I think to myself. And what am I going to do?! My brain is screaming at me.

"Stay with me. Please." He says, looking at me with soft eyes. He steps closer to me and takes my hand in his.

"You need to talk to Pan to see what you're going to do next. I'll decide what I'm going to do after that."

"Okay." He says, giving me a quick hug,  and then he heads back to Pan's treehouse.

****

Hook's POV

Pan is standing in the middle of the same room we were in half an hour ago.

"Made up your mind yet, Hook?" He says, annoyingly cheerful.

"I'll accept your offer." I say resignedly.

"And what about Milah, your fiancée?" Pan asks.

I've been asking myself that question for the entire past half hour.

"I don't know," I sigh. "I guess she could get a job at the tavern she used to go to or find her son, Baelfire."

"So you don't know..." Pan says.

"Don't know what?" I ask, dreading what's coming next. Pan laughs to himself softly, then flicks his wrist, making Milah appear in a purple cloud of smoke.

"I think you should both be here to hear the good news."

"With you, it's hardly going to be 'good news,' mate. I say pointedly.

"Killian what is going on?" Milah's demands.

"I think you know." Pan replies, a twisted smile painted on his face, staring straight at Milah.

Milah blushes and stares at the ground.

"I suspected it... but it - it's true then?" She asks.

I'm so confused. What is Pan keeping from me?

"Pan. Milah. What is going on?" I say slowly.

Milah buries her head in her hands.

"Congratulations, Captain. You're going to be a Dad." Pan says, smirking.