Chapter 3

Hook's POV
A 19-year-old looking boy flies over to us. Pan. The crew looks unsurely at me for instructions, and I just give them a tight-lipped smile, then nod at Milah, motioning for her to get inside. I'm beginning to think that it was a bad idea to bring her here in the first place - it will be all my fault if she gets hurt.

Pan lands on the deck, his two feet firmly anchored on the ground. He places his hands on his hips, as if he is challenging me.

"Well Pan what do you want?" I growl, gritting my teeth.

"Nothing Captain," he said, his words dripping with sarcasm. "but did you really think you could set a foot on my island without me knowing?"

"Of course not, do you think I'm stupid?" I say rolling my eyes at him. "We came here because we have unfinished business with Blackbeard, don't we boys?!" I say, and am greeted by a loud cheer from the crew.

"Well Hook, you know I do always love a good fight." Says Pan. "Don't let me stop you. But what is this 'unfinished business' you have?"

"Blackbeard stole something of mine, and I want it back." I say simply.

"Knowing you, Captain, there's something more than just a possession. You came to Neverland for a reason, didn't you?"

"I'm a pirate, Pan. And what do pirates do best?" Pan throws back his head and laughs.

"There's no way you can steal anything from me, Captain." He says, his expression now deadly serious.

"We'll see about that." I say. "Now get off my ship, or you'll be sorry." Another laugh from Pan.

"Haven't you learnt anything from our last little encounter, Hook?" He asks me pointedly.

"Oh that I have, mate. Now... Get. Off. My. Ship!" I yell, thrusting my sword threateningly in Pan's direction. He backs off and then hovers over the water.

"See you around, Captain." He says, and soars away into the distance.

"So what's the plan?" Asks a young member of the crew.

"We need that map from Blackbeard to find the treasure which the legends talk about." I tell him. "We'll have to use a locator spell to find exactly where he is at the minute - half of us will search his ship while the others find Blackbeard. Then, once we find him, we get the map."

"How will we get it off him?" I grin at the boy.

"By the sword, of course!" I say. "Nothing like an old-fashioned duel! Now back to work, boys. There's plenty to be getting on with!" I bite my lip and then go to find Milah.

*flashback*

I listen to the howling wind and wince as a low rumble of thunder echoes throughout the small cabin I share with my brother, Liam, and my Dad. A flash of lightning follows shortly after.

"Dad," I whisper. "I'm scared!" My dad comes and sits beside me so he doesn't disturb my sleeping brother.

"Don't be afraid, Killian. Every man is braver than he believes to be - even you. Just imagine what you want to be like when you are older - focus on that instead of the storm. These stormy seas can help mould you into the man you want to be when you grow up, don't you think?"

"Yes father," I say to him, more confidently. "And I want to be just like you." My dad smiles and strokes my head gently.

"Killian - you know that I'm not perfect, don't you?"

"I know."

"And you'll promise to forgive me when I make mistakes, won't you?"

"Yes father. Always." Reassured, he left my side and went back to his bunk.

"Goodnight Killian."

"Goodnight Dad."

****

"Liam!" I whisper frantically. "Liam, wake up!" My brother  sits up sleepily, rubbing his eyes.

"What is it Killian?" He says, evidently annoyed at being woken up.

"Father isn't here!"

"Maybe he went to the toilet or something. Just go back to sleep." The door opens, and a stout figure with a long curly black beard is revealed standing in the doorway. I gasp as I recognise him from stories my father told me.

The terrible Captain Blackbeard.

"Your father isn't here." He said, sneering.

"W-where did he go?" Liam asks, now fully awake.

"He left after we took over your old Captain's ship."

"Without us?" I asked.

"Yes - but not without a price, of course." Liam looked confused.

"But... how? We didn't ever get any money, and all father owned was his shoes and clothes.

"You two - that's how he paid." Liam and I looked at each other in horror.

"Father sold us?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes. And now you belong to me. You are property of Captain Blackbeard."

*end of flashback*

I must get that map, I think to myself.