Chapter 5

I come to the place where the wall of dreamshade is. I found it much quicker this time because I remembered it all so clearly, and some of the marks Liam and I left so that we could find our way back we're still there. It hadn't changed at all, and the grass was even still flattened where Liam's body had once lain. I sink to my knees and run my fingers over the soft earth.

"Oh brother, I miss you so much." A twig snaps behind me, and I quickly draw out my sword, only to find a startled looking Milah staring at me.

"Sorry, love. Just got to be on my guard at all times."

"Of course." She says. After a moment of silence she says, "I wish I could've met Liam."

"Aye - He would've liked you. Do you remember the first night you spent on my ship?"

"Yes, of course I do! One of the boys asked me to tell you all a story."

"I was entranced by you, hanging on your every word." I say, smiling at her and drawing her close to me. She laughs as she tumbles to the ground and ends up lying on top of me.

This is it Killian. Just do it!

"Milan, I've been wanting to ask you something." I say sincerely, sitting up.

"What might that be?" She says, still laughing a little.

"Will you marry me?" She looks at me sceptically.

"Killian what's the point in getting married?"

"Well we don't have to - but I thought it would be a good way of showing my love for you."

"That's very sweet Killian." She says, smiling again. "And I'd be honoured to marry you."

****

Emma takes a long drink from a rum bottle, then hands it back to me. It's just me and her and we're in a small clearing which looks exactly like where our crew set up camp.

"Did you really save his life?" She asks me. "You know - David from the dreamshade."

"Does it surprise you?" I challenge.

"Well it's just... you and my Dad aren't exactly - how do you say it? - 'mates'." She says, trying to copy the way I say it.

"That doesn't mean I would leave your father to perish on this island." I retort back.

"Thank you." My heart beats faster. She has never been this openly nice with me before, despite my best efforts to make her love me.

"Is that all my efforts are worth?" I say mischievously, raising an eyebrow and moving closer to her.

"Yeah - that's what the thank you was for." She protests, but she's smiling.

"Okay then - is that really all your father's life is worth?" I say, touching my fingers to my lips.

"Oh please," she says sarcastically. "You couldn't handle it."

"Perhaps you are the one who couldn't handle it, love." She smiles at me again. My heart stops - she is so beautiful. Suddenly she grabs my coat and pull me against her. I can hardly believe it... Emma is kissing me!! I wrap my arms around her. I have never felt happier than this. I kiss her back, and then after a while she draws back and smiles at me.

"Don't follow me - go get some firewood okay?" She says. "It'll be too suspicious to my parents."

"As you wish." I say to her. Once she's gone I touch my lips and smile. I cannot believe that just happened.

****

I wake up to see Milah in front of me, and am shocked to find a feeling of disappointment to find that it's not the blonde girl. I groan as I realise it was all just a dream.

It had seemed so real.

My spirit was slightly disheartened this morning and I ended up snapping at some of the crew members. What is wrong with me??

Milah must have noticed something was up, because she came over to me and planted a kiss on my cheek. To my horror, I feel disgusted at her gesture and tense up.

"Killian what is wrong with you today? You've been acting strangely all morning."

"Nothing - I just need some...space." I say.

"Ugh! What do you think I am? Stupid? I'm going to be married to you soon - do you really think I don't know when there's something wrong?" The wedding. I completely forgot about it, and don't want to get married anymore. Not to Milah.

Did I really just think that? All because of some dream of a girl...

But it's not just a dream. I know it sounds stupid but I believe in it - it can't be only a dream. I can't concentrate on my mission any longer, and I go to find a quiet spot away from everyone.

****

The trees part and Pan comes and sits down beside me on my log.

"What's up, Captain?" He asks me.

"I didn't ask for your company, Pan." I say crossly.

"I know what you want, Hook."

"And what would that be?"

"You want to meet a girl called Emma." He says casually. I nearly fall off the log.

"W-what? How did you know? I mean where did you hear that?"

"I know everything, Captain. And I can help you."

"Why would I want help from you?"

"Because I know things about Emma. Her full name is Emma Swan, and she is currently in a home for children in Boston. The dreams you have been having - they could happen. They are a possible future for you. However, there is one thing which is in the way."

"And what's that?" I growl, trying not to sound too keen.

"Milah, your wife-to-be. You see, if you want Emma Swan, Milah has to die. And you have already changed fate, because she was meant to die when Rumpelstiltskin challenged you. You saved her, and now you must pay the price."

"Can it be... undone?" I ask. Pan chuckles.

"Well, you could always kill her yourself."

"How are you doing to help me?"

"You see, I made a deal with Blackbeard - I must get rid of you and then Blackbeard will give me what I want. If you stay here until it's the time for you to be destined to meet Emma, working for me, then I will work it all out for you to do so."

"How do I know you can be trusted?" I ask, doubting heavily if what he says is true or not.

"I can prove it."