Chapter 4

Pan's POV
I fly back to my camp, chuckling softly to myself. Hook is such an idiot. I agreed to help Blackbeard yesterday morning when he arrived on my island - I would get rid of Hook, and in return he would give me something which I have wanted for a very long time. It seemed like a fair deal, and if Blackbeard does happen to try anything, I can easily throw him off the side of Paradise Falls, Neverland's beautiful waterfall.

(By accident of course.)

The question is, how should I get rid of Hook? Obviously I won't just kill him - that would be far too easy for such a powerful being like me. Besides, a pirate might come in quite useful sometime.

After talking it over with Felix, I decide to lock him in the cages until I know what to do with him and his crew. Feeling satisfied with another good day's work, I settle down on a log around our campfire and start playing a lively tune on my pipes, while watching my lost boys dance merrily in the dim light, their arms and legs moving wildly casting strange shadows on the ground.

****

Hook's POV
We finally reach land, and as we set foot on the island, I am hit with a wave of horrible memories which are associated with this place. I know these forests, these beaches and trees all too well.

*flashback*

"Killian, isn't this just beautiful?!" Liam asks me as we clamber ungracefully out of the small rowing boat.

"Yes - it really is." I reply, taking in the breathtaking views around us. Liam glances behind us at our ship - The Jewel of the Realm - and gives his crew the 'okay' signal. Together we begin our adventure into the unknown forests of Neverland.

"So why exactly are we here?" I question Liam, a couple of minutes into our exploration.

"The King sent me here on a mission to find a plant called dreamshade,"  he explains patiently, for the third time today. "He says he wants it for medecinal purposes. As you already know, this is my first proper mission - it's kind of like a trust test. The only things he gave me were star charts - to guide us home again - and the sail for my ship made with pegasus feathers - to fly us here." Liam stops to turn and look into my eyes. "I must suceed, Killian. If I don't, the King will never be able to trust me with other more important quests." I nod slowly.

"What medicinal purposes can dreamshade be used  for?" I ask, my intentions completely innocent. Liam, however is angered by my question.

"We do not question our orders, Killian." He says firmly. I nod again and bow my head in submission.

****

After two nights of travelling, we finally find the place where the dreamshade grows.

"Killian! We've found it!" Liam cries joyfully.

"Aye, it would seem so." I reply uneasily.

"What's the matter brother? Aren't you pleased?"

"I am, but it's just..."

"It's just what?"

"I don't know - I guess I have a bad feeling about this." I say.

"You should." A young boy around 19 years old steps out from behind a tree. He must have noticed our confused expressions because he adds; "How rude of me! I'm Peter Pan. And this is my island you're trespassing on." Liam finally plucks up the courage to speak.

"We have been sent here by-"

"Yes - I know who you are, Liam Jones." I stare at the boy, stunned. "Your King is not who you think he is. Did you know that Dreamshade is a deadly poison?" Seeing our blank faces he goes on. "Evidently not. One scratch, and you are going to die. And if you don't believe me - there's more than enough to go around." He says, raising an eyebrow at Liam. Before either of us could reply, the boy is gone.

"What do you think? Is he telling the truth?" I ask Liam.

"Of course not! I know my King - he would never have anything to do with something dangerous like poisonous plants." He says protectively. "That boy was probably just having a laugh. I trust my King and so should you. So let's get on with what we came here to do."

"Liam I don't think-"

"If you have any doubts then you shouldn't have come, Killian!" He says, the volume of his voice rising rapidly. He reaches out and plucks a piece of dreamshade from the soft earth.

"Liam no!!" I cry, but it's too late. I watch in horror as my brother falls to the ground, giving a yell of pain as he does so. Black liquid snakes its way through his veins away from the prick under his skin. I call out for help, and am relieved when a couple of minutes later I hear the boy's voice again.

"You called?" He sneers. "Guess your brother found out I was telling the truth the hard way, then." He says.

"Yes but is there anything I can do to save him?!" I ask frantically.

"There is one way..." he says, examining his fingernails.

"Well what is it?" I demand. Pan flicks his wrist and makes a small opening in the wall of dreamshade to reveal a small lake with a waterfall. If my brother weren't dying, it would have been a beautiful sight.

"Let Liam drink the water from this and he will be healed."

"What's your price?"

"Liam will not be able to leave Neverland." He replies.

"Yeah, alright." I say under my breath, already rushing to the side of the lake. When I return with the water, Pan is gone. I shrug and then hurry to Liam's side.

"Drink this." I say to him. Too weak to reply, Liam simply nods and opens his mouth slightly. I pour some of the water through his lips, then hold my breath, waiting for something to happen. I sigh with relief when the black fades away and the colour returns to Liam's cheeks.

"Killian I'm so sorry." He manages to stutter before passing out.

****

"Killian! So glad you could join me! Finally we are setting back home - from our first sucessful mission!" Liam exclaims happily to me. It feels so good to be back on the Jewel after being on land for what seems like forever.

"Aye - well done brother. I'm so proud of you." I say, smiling at Liam.

"I couldn't have done it withou-"

Liam fell to the floor.

"Liam - what's wrong?!" I cry.

"Killian..." He mutters, as I rush to support him. He's dying fast - I can see it in his face, and the dreaded black liquid begins to fill his veins once again, but this time much, much more quickly.

Seconds later I'm holding my dead brother in my arms, sobbing and begging him to come back to me.

*flashback over*

"I will avenge your death, Liam. I promise." I say under my breath, and start walking through the thick trees.