L. Noon Rendezvous

February 16, 1995New York, New York

February 16, 1995
New York, New York

He sits on the bathroom's counter while I sit on the toilet. "Come on, Nel." He's anxious for me to finish, I can see that. You know what I think, I think he needs to calm down. We're already running behind and I can't focus if he's yelling at me to hurry.

"What, I'm peeing already! You can hear it."

He smacks his lips, unable to exhibit any patience with me today. "All you doing is taking a piss."

"De, you know it's way more to it than just pissing on a stick. C'mon now." I find it humorous how stressed he looks though I completely understand his anxiousness. This time, he doesn't look worried. He looks like a man who simply wants these answers as fast as he can get them. "Can you relax?"

This is my third time questioning my body and our second time going through the process together. We're professionals at this rate, I think. Although, I think a lot of things that turn up to not be true and that's how we had the summer we had.

Sighing loudly, he moves from sitting on the counter to the edge of the bathtub. I examine his inability to stay still. "Is this going to be too much for you? Should I pee alone next time and just tell you the results," I ask him.

This is our new regular. How do I get myself into these predicaments?

His eyes shut as he keeps his head low. "You talking a lot for somebody who gotta' concentrate to piss, Nel." I watch him crack a half smile at my sudden silence. He knows I'm mugging him like he's crazy. I hope he can feel it in the energy of my stare.

"You know what we do need to talk about?" I ask him as I begin to clean myself up, putting the plastic cap back on my pregnancy test. He looks up at me with a perplexed expression. "What if it's a plus sign and not a subtraction."

"What?"

I cut the water, holding my hands over the sink for a second of hesitation as water droplets drip from my finger tips. "How we're going to get the kids up here," I question. "Diana and Justin." His children have yet to have been able to visit us since we've moved into our new home.

Plans to get married some time over the course of this next year or so pushed us out into the real world as a couple. His home is too far from my life. Enrolled in school again and running businesses, I need to be closer to the city. In the dead center of the upper west side, my penthouse isn't big enough. We decided a bigger, two-story penthouse a little further out on the outskirts of the borough is what we need. Now, I'm holding out on letting my eggs be fertilized until after I'm married.

DeVante shrugs his shoulders dropping forward to lean his elbows and forearms on his knees. "I can go get them... I can send for them." His shoulders rise and nonchalantly fall. "I can do all kind of shit. I need to talk to Shannon. Last time I brought it up, she got to acting all kinda' funny because she was talking about Diana going fishing with her parents. Katrina's fine with Justin doing anything as long as I bring him back alive."