XV. Uptown

September 29, 1992New York, New York

September 29, 1992
New York, New York

I can't say whose gorgeous extravagant penthouse this is, because I know it doesn't belong to the man who invited me here, not him not his group-mates are carrying this kind of dough. Regardless of who signs the lease on this place, it equipped with every kind of amenity needed to host 200 hundred guests. A banging stereo system and a beautifully decorated rooftop yard overlooking New York City is all you need to keep the place jumping, or at least when you have the right people in attendance.

"Fuck that, let's dance." DeVante dragged me by my arm to the middle of the yard.

A classic house party was something I've been lacking in my life. They don't do these kinds of things in my Hollywood social circle and I failed to recognize how much I missed it prior to this moment. My friends and I, we do all of our dancing and mingling in the clubs. When we're at home, we're calm and cool, probably watching some movies and drinking a few glasses of wine. A party like this is, is the fancy version of the get downs Aaliyah and I were dropping in on in college.

Not completely hip to the full scope of the East Coast's scene, I see a balanced count of new and old faces.

The oldest of faces I see is a snow white woman in the center of a cluster of Black men. Madonna is here, of course. Wherever there are young talented black men is where you can find her skank ass. We never got along, her one-sided competition fueled by our label adding to her nasty attitude. I'm not sure what her issue with me is, but I know I can think up something if I need to.

One two, tell me what you got! Let me slip my quarters inside your slot to hit the jackpot.

Heavy D & The Boyz keep everybody in the groove. DeVante's loose grip on my hips is the last thing on my mind. I have to admit that I am a little buzzed but I still have my head on right. Taking the girls with me does that to you. They would've pulled me out of here eons ago if I didn't. I never travel alone and that is a big part of why. I lucked up when I got Honey and Minnie to come.

Rev me up! Rev me up, my little buttercup! We can tug sheets snuggle up and get stuck. Believe it or not, here comes the brother with glow. A strugglin', bubblin' overweight lover hurt prone. So what's it gonna be, me or the TV?

Giggles flew from my lips as I pulled on the newfound 23-year-old's ears. "Okay, Dumbo!"

"Stop pulling on my damn ears!" He laughs, swatting my hands away from his ears. I step back looking him up and down. A short lived stare off is cut the moment he pulls me back into his dancing embrace. He doesn't dance much, especially when compared to my past partners, but he's had a few drinks and he can surely poke his feet out on beat.

Giggles flooded with profane phrases are tossed back and forth between us. Arguing in the corner behind him catches my attention. K-Ci and Mary J. Blige exchanging words in what I'd call a lover's quarrel. It's a sight I know all too well after my last year. The only words I am able to catch are Mary's as she yells, "I saw the bitch looking at you!" The rest is drowned out as I turn my head around to watch the dance battle between Minnie and a man I've never met.