XLIV. Cry for You

November 14, 1993New York, New York

November 14, 1993
New York, New York

"And love me from January to December," I belt out my own lyrics in a fit of excitement as the track is played back.

When you work with someone who gets, someone you have musical chemistry with, you get classics and if you're lucky, you get some platinum hits too. Everything DeVante and I have touched this year has turned to gold. We get a step closer and closer to perfection each time we sit down in front of a microphone. A guarantee of keeping me close is the ability to fuel my creative soul and he keeps me well fed.

Jeff cuts the track and turns in his chair to Rhonda, Buffy, and I. "Okay, and we can finish this because don't you two have to leave?"

"Yeah, we're just taking the jet to Nevada in a couple of hours." I hop out of my seat and onto my feet, playfully poking at Rhonda as I flick her ear. "Jeff, go back to Chicago and spend some time with Dennis. Let Rhonda's lazy ass do something."

"Are you all packed," Buffy asks from behind me. When I shrug, she makes an executive decision. "Okay, then we should probably head out right now to make sure you have everything ready."

Sighing, I start my trip to the door as I wave my engineers goodbye. "You heard the boss. I'll see you guys in a few days."

November 15, 1993Las Vegas, Nevada

November 15, 1993
Las Vegas, Nevada

I push my sunglasses up the slope of my nose. One thing I absolutely dread about airports is the way people sit here hunting, preying on their next victim all day and everyday until a public figure walks through one of the many double doors provided. I can land at a private airport and still manage to get caught by a camera or two. Then, I hold my breath, waiting to see the photo in some random magazine or newspaper.

Lyric, what're you doing in Las Vegas?

How is your daughter?

Where's your oldest daughter?

Is it true you and The Artist are getting a divorce?

Mumbling as I get in the car, I think of something crazy and off the wall. "We're divorcing because he sacrificed my cat to the purple gods." I laugh to myself.