XXXIII. 1987

August 19, 1993Alpine, New Jersey

August 19, 1993
Alpine, New Jersey

I kneeling on the counter as a way of lifting myself higher off of the ground, trying to reach the top of the cabinet as I'm tasked with unpacking the cups. No one knows how long it'll take us to unpack all of his stuff into the new house but we're already two days in. "I think it's so crazy that you've been here damn near a month and you have all these boxes and shit," I tell him from over my shoulder.

The house he'd chosen is closer than his last one though it's also a lot bigger. This is the home of a man who has sold millions of records. He'd moved a less than, but almost exactly, one month ago yet there remains many a giant stack of boxes around every corner. All of them are begging to be unpacked.

"That's why you here to help me. I need a woman's touch." He yawns, his latest long haul session slowly catching up with him. "You still going to Spain and all that?"

I'd signed on to do a French Festival, agreeing that I'd stop by Spain on my trip back as both Dorian and Maria, the only one who missed it, begged for us to stop and see Prince's show. It sounded like a good plan at first, so much of a good plan that I ran it by my boyfriend. These were plans made before our talk by the fountain and after his little pop off, I don't know what I want to do. I much rather sit in the studio all day or lounge around this big ass house doing something close to nothing but different than the day before.

Really, I'd rather do anything than go back and forth with him the way I started to again.

"Mayte, I know he's your ride back and all but if you want to go dance with Eddie then I'd say go! I needa talk to him about some business anyway." I decorated my lie with a laugh as Mayte ran off with my brother. I can tell she was having a new kind of fun. "I'm gone run and talk to The Kid outside, I'll be back," I whispered to DeVante.

I called him The Kid on purpose. His emotions were at an all time high. A simple glance strings him along and out of the door. We find ourselves all the way by the garden's fountain, people sneaking peeks at us as they walk by.

"You look angry."

He looked at me with a hard glare that screamed it all.

"Uh, I'm not sure." I straightening my sleeves before rolling them up my arms, ready to dig into the box like it's my full-time job. I had a gig at the campus book store way back when and this stacking is about to take me back. "I'm really not sure."

"Y'all got into?"

I shrug, not wanting to consider it a negative experience. It's a neutral one. He caught a bad case of an attitude and I caught one right back. There's no reason to declare war as a response. I simply gave him exactly what he gave me. Nobody can fault me for that, especially him...

But that never stopped him from trying.

He gave me the most annoyed look his body could muster up. "Now we're acting like I'm antagonizing you?" Daggers weren't even a thing. He had lasers coming from his burning scold. "I'm antagonizing you," I repeat, wanting him to answer me. I know he's pressed but that's because he convinced himself I'm a liar.