XXVI. Fearless Autonomy

April 17, 1993New York, New York

April 17, 1993
New York, New York

As I walk in the house, Buffy raises from my couch with a devious smile. "Look who finally came home after two days in the studio with DeVante." She was acting like we didn't take a couple of hour breaks to come home and shower before we went back.

I have two meaningful words for her. "Drama. Queen."

Buffy follows me into my room, talking my ear off as she tosses around the kinds of accusations only a sister can conjure. "You guys are cute, Nelly. I saw him laying his head on your lap when we watched that movie."

I correct her, "He had the back of his head on my knee. That is nothing special, Buffy."

"What about you guys sitting next to each other to play Uno," she probes.

"I think you're digging a little too deep."

She folds her arms, her blonde ponytail resting on her shoulders, as I walk into the closet looking for an outfit.

Alexis enters the room, stopping at the doorway with news. "So... Why did Jason call Aaliyah asking about a guy you described as tall and pretty-eyed." My head snaps in her direction with my inquisitive whereabouts obvious. "That's right."

"Tell me more."

She laughs, "I'll tell you more after you tell me whether or not you said it in DeVante's face?"

"I did."

Alexis smirks up at me, placing a hand on her hip. "Jason called Liyah asking were you seeing," She holds up her air quotes, "DeVante Swing from Jodeci." I have to drop my head. He could've asked me that when we were on the phone! "And you know she had a hissy fit."

Jason and his big mouth have struck again. This can't be any worse than in the 11th grade when I confessed to him I was thinking about not going to college and he told Aaliyah. I still haven't forgave him for that one. Jason was working his way up to getting himself slapped back then and it looks like he hasn't lost his touch. Now, when I get back to Chicago, I know Aaliyah will be hot on my ass and I think that's too bad. She'll come running to me with a lecture prepped and I'll have to remind her what I've had to remind everyone for years... I'm a grown ass woman and I'll do whatever the hell I please.

~•~

Come on and touch the place in me that's calling out your name. We want each other oh so much. Why must we play this game?

My foot tapped against the hard floor as I listen to the music playing over the intercom of the restaurant. Buffy stayed behind to make schedule my departure to Los Angeles for filming. I said yes to a small guest star role on a popular family show. That means I won't be able to stay in Chicago as long as planned. In July, I have to head out overseas.