XIX. Rebirth

January 1, 1993Charlotte, North Carolina

January 1, 1993
Charlotte, North Carolina

And it's another 366 days around the sun.

We brought in the new year with Greensboro, North Carolina last night and it was off the hook, taking me out for the drive down to Charlotte. Back on the road, I treated my personal life an ugly stepsister. Just like I'd predicted, my family they acted like nothing happened when I saw them for Christmas. As boring as Christmas was boring, I always loved seeing the kids happy. The kids were the exact and sole reason I returned. I hopped back on my bus when it was all over and went on about my way.

Now, I'm enjoying an off day in a city I never had the chance to explore in the past.

"So here we are in Charlotte! It's sixty-something degrees..." I say to my camera as I record my life's events.

I always wanted a television show where people would be able to follow me and see what I go through. Then I realize, I have a little too much to show. As a way to find my happiest of mediums, I've recently reverted back to my past habit of carrying a camera everywhere I go. The fears of my personal property being stolen can't stop me anymore. I have my crews treat this bag like a sacred deity when we travel.

Mike steps aside so I can see the sky. He chuckles and says, "Catch that view over there, babygirl."

"She got it," laughs Phi.

Today consists of myself, Phi, Mike, Honey, Ike and Buffy. We're wandering around the pretty city. The population seems to be on a break today because not a soul is outside today. It's quite similar to a an experience Prince and I had in Colorado once. That was a peculiar one... One I'll save for my future when I'm lecturing them about why they should never trust an empty McDonalds.

I point the video camera straight ahead as I catch glimpse of a male bystander. Standing tall in a mostly multicolored sweater, blue jeans, and a pair of brown boots, I eye the seemingly attractive stranger from behind. Whether or not he is attractive from the front is yet to be revealed but he looks all kinds of fine from behind.

"Look at him..."

"I know he fine by the back of his head. Look at my future husband," Honey jokes.

Buffy shakes her head as the wind picked up in breeze. "We haven't even seen his face. He can be horrendous in the face." The mystery man loiters the parking lot with three other men. I hear his loud laugh all the way from here and catch a bad case of déjà vu. I pass the video camera to Honey and squint.

Wait a minute.

"De," I scream out from behind Ike. The tall brown skinned figure turns around upon my call. I slide from behind my protective wall made of friends, allowing him to catch a glimpse of me. "It's me!" Squinting back at me, DeVante fails to recognize me until I fully reveal myself.