19. Blood Oath

Damien
Knight Pack Grounds

There are levels of control. Right at that moment, every single one of them were nonexistent. I didn't want explanations or excuses, I only saw red.

Only saw a man strangling what was mine. Only saw her face turning blue as she choked, midair.

Only saw his petrified face beneath mine as I had him on the floor. Only saw the tears streaming down her face as I punched him, allowing my hands to shift, razor sharp nails tearing his face.

I was vaguely aware of someone pulling me away, and felt my deadly rage turn towards them. Soon enough, Liam too fell beneath me, unconscious and bloody.

Only then did I turn to my mate, who didn't look like she'd shed a single tear since the day she was born.

"You moron!" She muttered as Sally began to duck under me and collect the unconscious bodies.  She seemed to be doing an awful lot of that lately. The two guards at the door were scrambling over to help, throwing unsure glances at me and Lavender.

"Untie me then," she ordered hotly, and I did exactly that, fishing the keys out of my pocket. I expected her to do a lot of things, but rushing over to me to inspect my knuckles was not one of them.

"You punched the wrong guy, Damien. Jim Quirks is innocent." The same Jim Quirks who had just strangled her? Her eyes softened as she dropped my hands, and pushed hair out of her eyes.

"What?"

"He knows something big. We need him on our team." But.

"Unshackle my brothers. That's an order from the alpha female." She dragged me out and watched me unshackle each of her brothers. My mind itself was a whirlwind of questions. There was one thought dominating it all, however. Alpha Female.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

"Call a pack meeting. Right now." Her tone was firm as each of her brothers began to come out.

"Pack Meeting." The pack link was buzzing with energy as it always was, and it mostly dimmed down when I acknowledged all of them.

"The field. In ten minutes. Those of you who are more than ten minutes away better get here as soon as possible. That is an order. Let me know if you're going to be late."

"When will it be?" Leo asked.

"In 10." I glanced at my mate again. "Tell me what's going on."

"You need to hold a blood oath." Lavender replied immediately, and before I could interrupt, "for those of who are really loyal to you, it won't be a problem. For those who are not, they will try to run and get cornered." Her eyes shone with determination as she continued.

A blood oath was a simple matter externally. It was something our ancestors did very regularly, but had dwindled into an old tradition as of now.

When an Alpha took over a pack, be it from their parent or someone else, it was usually assumed that the pack members were loyal to the new alpha as they were to the old. So it was simply as if the reigns were being transferred hoping the wolves would still work under the new holder.

In most situations, this was a hundred percent true. An alpha, before handing over his reigns would train their daughter or son to take over, and the pack would be happy with it. Even if it were to be a more distant blood relative of the alpha, the pack would still approve of it, albeit unofficially.

Back in the day, this was not the same. Once an old alpha handed down the reigns, the new alpha would make every single adult pack member swear fealty to them. This was by a blood oath. That way, once the alpha changed, the whole pack would turn a new leaf, banishing wolves that were not loyal and keeping those who were.