1. Cant Get You Outta My Head

Lavender Sinek
Somewhere on the way to NY, US.

My wolf was howling throughout the entire road trip to New York, and I pretended to be asleep the whole way, zoning in and out of my brothers' triumphant conversations.

I suppose I should start at the beginning. The continent of North America had Eight major packs, that was until five years ago. Five years ago, the Sinek pack, my pack was attacked s and destroyed entirely. Several hundred wolves were killed, and those who managed to escape have been on the run ever since.

The source of the attack was unknown, mainly because the wolves who attacked bore no colors of any pack and neither were they rogues. We could only assume that the seven packs we shared boundaries with, sent a combined army.

Little did they know, while they may have succeeded at annihilating the alpha and most of the pack, his children had escaped. His children who were now out for blood.

"Lavender, I know you're up." Maddox grumbled as I peeked an eye open at him. My heart was heavy, my wolf was in distress. I couldn't bring myself to tell any of my brothers the shocking news I had discovered during the final raid.

Above all the ways in which I could betray my family, it was by being mated to one of the alphas who planned and plotted to kill them. My gut twisted with anger at the thought. I would never mate to not accept Damien Knight. Not as long as I lived.

I opened my eyes fully and smiled tiredly at Maddox. It was true, I was tired. "Just a little unsettled," I mumbled as I watched the trees pass by outside. We were quite close to NY now, a few high rise buildings were beginning to dot the horizon.

New York, was essentially no man's land. It was too urban to be of any use to wolves, who preferred nature above anything else. So I knew that we would be perfectly safe amidst mindless humans. As we had been for the past five years.

Always vigilant, always on the move.

"How about we sleep it off, hit a club tonight and start fresh tomorrow?" Ryd asked helpfully as he changed the lane. That actually sounded brilliant. A copious amount of alcohol would definitely dull the yik yak of my wolf about the mating shit.

"Sure," I breathed as the rest of my brothers voiced much more vocal agreements to the suggestion.

-

I downed another shot and glared at the spunky redhead dancing with my brother. Nothing annoyed me more than not having a conquest for the night, and unfortunately for me I couldn't get one even if they were available. Not with the damn guilt eating me up alive.

Leo had long  since disappeared, a girl on each arm, Ryd was chatting up another in a far darkened corner and Maddox was more than happy with the red headed guy grinding into him and I sadly seemed to be the only one who couldn't chat up a fly to save my ass.

"Hey gorgeous." I believe I spoke too soon. I glanced at the chiseled jaw leaning into me on my right and rolled my eyes. That was literally all he was a chiseled jaw.

"Not interested." The bartender smirked at the gobsmacked guy, who didn't seem like he ever got rejected and pushed me the Malibu I'd ordered. I watched Chiseled jaw from the corner of my eyes and came to the conclusion that he also had nice lashes.

"I don't think I heard you right?" I looked up from my drink at chiseled jaw and contemplated flashing my fangs at him.

"I said I'm not interested." I got super close to him so he could get a good whiff of my perfume, but I did combine it with my driest voice yet before turning my back to him. My mate would have a been much more gorgeous in black, I thought to myself bitterly as I remembered those silvery blue eyes.

"Okay, what's wrong with you?" Maddox grumbled as he stole my drink. "That one was total eye candy." Oh I don't know, brother.

He isn't my mate.

I had to stop thinking like this or else I would start blabbering it, too. I didn't want Maddox to die choking on a Malibu.

"Not into it tonight." I told him instead, and asked for another drink.

Four more rejected men later, all three of my brothers were giving me suspicious glances, including Leo who had magically reappeared but had failed to lose one of the girls on his arm.

"Can't a girl have an off night?" I growled annoyingly at them before downing a shot. I was borderline drunk now.

"You're not on your period." Ryd observed, which wasn't creepy at all. Note the sarcasm.

"You did really well shooting the Alpha, and that adrenaline rush should be still there." Leo added.

"But you don't seem that into it, which could only mean one of few things." Maddox mused to himself.

"You're gay. But I'm pretty sure there were plenty of chicks here. Hot ones. And we all know you're not into them that way." Ryd said, like he hadn't been with several just a few minutes ago.

"You're pregnant, who did you bang last? Was it the guy with the blue highlights?" Maddox.

"Or you've contacted an STD. Although blue highlights did look quite clean-" The girl on Leo's arm surreptitiously stepped away from all of us at that retort. "And STDs don't affect your sex drive do they?" I hated my brothers. I was sure pregnancy didn't affect libido, but STDs probably did.

"None of the above."I grumbled into my drink, "you guys are too interested in my sex life."

"or the lack of one" Leo muttered, making everyone crack up. Everyone but me. My brothers were the epitome of annoying.

"What's wrong?" Ryd sounded concerned.

"Nothing for fucks sake!" This time I growled viciously enough for them to leave me alone. At least until the next morning.

-

Mid-morning, thanks to the hangovers we all sported. I was already up and going through the stacks of paper Leo had shoved into his bag when Maddox entered the  kitchenette in the hotel suite we all shared.

For a bunch of runaways, we were pretty well off, considering the fact that an entire pack's savings were immediately inherited by us.

We didn't always spend it like a kid in a candy store, we tended to spend it in chunks as celebration whenever we were successful in uncovering something related to the annihilation of our pack.

He furrowed a brow at me, and went to get himself some coffee before taking a seat next to me. "These haven't been gone through in a while." I muttered, blowing the dust off a particularly crumpled looking stack of papers.

"Looks like the new alpha wasn't keen on continuing to hide his father's secrets." The words sounded bitter in my mouth as I smoothened out another paper. Oh how I hoped Alpha Damien was innocent in his father's endeavors.

"Are you okay, Lav?" Maddox wasn't staring at the papers, but directly at me. I could feel his gaze burning a hole through my skull, but I continued to smoothen the papers to perfection before reaching for the next.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Because the enemy is my freaking mate. Because this could potentially ruin everything.

"Something's up." He said, just as an old Polaroid fell onto the pile of papers below me. I stared down at the picture of Damien Knight and his murderer father with their arms around each other and frowned.

Maddox picked it up at gazed at it for a while before chucking it back onto the counter, taking a stack of papers for himself to sort through. I kept peeping at the picture, the silvery blue eyes staring smilingly back at me as if everything was going to be perfect.

I was dumb and naive if I thought the same.

Edited and Revised