Chapter 9

Quick note!: Sorry for not updating for so longe, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm so glad that you're such good and paitent people for waiting for this chapter. I'm very thankful to all of those who've voted, read, commented, and fanned, it seriously means a lot! Thanks so much!

----------------

            The doors swung open without so much as a knock, slightly startling the Grim Reaper. He turned to glare at the man but paused at his face. He seemed shaken and nervous.

            “Yes?” spat the Reaper. Jason stumbled closer towards his master before speaking. 

            “My lord, I have urgent news about Ryan and that girl. It seems, as our sources have told us, that they shared a… kiss.” He said it nervously, certain that in a second he would become the next screaming new soul to be stuck in the depths of the castle for forever.

            “Is that so?” Strangely, the Reaper seemed calm and slightly cheerful at the news.

            “Y-yes, my lord,”

            “And you’re positive that this has happened?” Jason nodded his head firmly.

            “Interesting, I didn’t expect it so sudden, but you never know now do you?” He was pacing and talking to himself rather than to his assistant.

            “Jason, my dear boy, please tell all of the staff to take tomorrow off for no one will die and I think you as well as them have been working hard for the past few years. But make sure that you tell them that starting soon we will be working more fequently to keep an eye out on Ryan.” And with that the Reaper dismissed him before silently and slowly walking over to his desk as he took a seat.

            How interesting. It is going better than I had planned.

            He tapped his fingers together, grinning to himself.

            Ryan couldn’t believe it. She had fainted just because he had kissed her. Then again it was quite a kiss and he wouldn’t lie and say that it hadn't  affected him. But all the same, he had only done it to prove a point.

            He watched with furrowed brows as Leslie twitched slightly. He had caught her just in time before her head had smacked into the ground before placing her on the couch. She looked peaceful and yet troubled at the same time.

            This is wrong. I shouldn’t be thinking about her and I defiantly shouldn’t have kissed her. My job is simple. Tell her she’s going to die, watch her for a year, make sure no harm comes to her, and then when her time comes, just let her go. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to do that anymore…

            The realization that he did, in fact, feel something for her more than hatred itself, startled him. Maybe it was because he was sent to protect her. Maybe it wasn’t.     

            I’m such an idiot.

            He shook his head and sighed. Slowly, he rose from beside her and walked into the kitchen looking for something to snack on. He hadn’t eaten in hours and the rumbling of his stomach was the only prove that he needed.

            Once he found a bag of cookies, he returned to the living room only to find that Leslie was no longer there. In a panic, he shouted out her name. No reply.

            “Leslie!” He called out again. Just as he was about to raid the whole apartment, a sound of sniffling came from the bathroom.