Ch 4:The Legend & training

The cadets had to hand it to him; Shadis knew how to simultaneously make them terrified of their future and pumped up for it. Sadly, for them, it was time for the hazing.

"Hey, Mop Top!" Shadis exclaimed, looking directly at Armin.

"Sir!" he replied, saluting trying to keep his cool.

"What do they call you, maggot?"

"Armin Arlert from Shiganshina, sir!" he answered.

"Seriously?" Shadis asked, wondering if he heard correctly. "Why would your parents curse you with that ridiculous name?"

"It was my grandfather, sir!" He replied back to him

The drill instructor leaned in, not granting the boy personal space. "Cadet Arlert, why is a runt like you here?"

Armin's voice started cracking, terrified, and even closed his eyes. "To help humanity defeat the Titans!"

"That is delightful to hear," Shadis replied, not at all delighted. "You're gonna be a great light snack for them!" Grabbing Armin by the head, he forcefully turned him around. "Row 3, about face, runt!"

He moved on to the next cadet, who had short blond hair and brown eyes. "What do you call yourself?"

"Sir, my name is Thomas Wagner! I'm from the Trost District!"

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"I'm from Trost, sir!" he repeated, louder. "I want to-!"

"Nobody here gives a damn! Next!" Shadis interrupted, quickly moving on to another cadet, this one being a black-haired, gray-eyed girl. "You!"

"Sir, Mina Carolina from Karanes," she quickly introduced.

"IS A PATHETIC WORM LIKE YOU THE BEST KARANES HAS TO OFFER!?" he roared.

Like Armin, she too closed her eyes in fear. "Sir, I'm afraid that's the case, sir!"

"Tell your district they can burn in Hell for sending you here!" the drill instructor ordered.

"Yes, sir!" Mina

"You!" He shouted to the next recruit with brown hair and blue eyes.

"Who the hell are you!?" Shadis demanded.

Saluting, he responded, "Dillon Holt from Yarckel, sir!"

"Yarckel!? Step forward, Holt!"

He followed orders without hesitation, but he had a very bad feeling about this.

"Take a good look, maggots!" Shadis said, his voice becoming patronizing. "A Sina brat has decided to grace us with his presence today! You should all feel honored! Tell me, Sina Brat, how many times a day do you ask your servants to bend over and lick your shoes!?"

"I never had servants, sir!" Dillon assured, starting to really hate this guy.

He leaned into his face, spit flying out of his mouth. "Are you suggesting that I am wrong, pretty boy!?"

"Yes, sir!" Well, he's gonna kill him now.

Shadis's glare made his soul want to flee his body. "Then bend over lick my shoes, Sina Brat!"

"Yes, sir!"

Dillon got down on his knees and lowered his face to his shoe, hoping that all he would taste was dirt and whatever the shoe was made of. Instead, Shadis kicked his foot right into his face, sending him backwards. He landed on his back with blood pouring from his now-broken and bent-upwards nose, crying out in pain.