Chapter 31: Flashbacks & Feels

Normani's POV

After retrieving our rental car from Alicante, we drove to Valencia, the city where Lauren and Camila went to study abroad. Lauren and Camila took us to the Cuban restaurant, where they'd celebrated Lauren's 21st birthday seven years ago. As we ate, Lauren and Camila reminisced about how they'd gotten together and the rest of us enjoyed telling them about how we'd set them up.

"Now I remember," Lauren laughed when I reminded her about the time I'd convinced her to go to study abroad, "Camz, I came home one day and Mani was looking through study abroad programs and whining about how there weren't any good programs for dancers. She basically called me stupid for not looking at study abroad as an option cuz she'd found tons of good music programs. And then she pretty much said bad things about all the other programs, except yours, and tricked me into going."

"You were so easy to manipulate. When you guys found out you were going to the same program, you should've realized what we were up to," I giggled.

"Touché, Mani," Lauren said, toasting her glass of wine to me and taking a sip.

"I can't thank you enough for telling them that I was running away to study abroad," Camila said sincerely, touching Dinah's hand, "If it wasn't for that, I would've been stuck in the friendzone forever. I seriously owe all of you guys for helping me get my girl."

"And that's why, we're paying for today's dinner," Lauren said. All of us started to protest, but her and Camila wouldn't hear a word of it.

"Tell them about that other thing, baby!" Camila urged Lauren.

"Oh yeah! I'm going to be an assistant social arts professor at Harvard starting January! They sent me an offer yesterday!" Lauren said and all of us congratulated and toasted to her, before she continued. "Thanks! Camz and I are moving back to Massachusetts right after this trip so we'll have a few months to settle in and stuff. But anyway, you guys remember my friends Lucy and Vero?"

"Uh, excuse me?" Camila said, "Our friends, Lucy and Vero."

Lauren rolled her eyes and said, "You can just call them your friends, if you want, since they like you better anyway. Nasty little traitors."

"Don't worry, Ralph, I love you more," Dinah said.

"Thanks D-mac! I love you more also," Lauren said, grinning at Dinah. Both of them reached out to one another and wiggled their fingers together like Zack and Cody.

"No, she doesn't! You both love me more!" Camila argued loudly, cutting through their wiggling fingers.

"Shhh children! We're in a restaurant! 27 and 28 and y'all are still fighting like toddlers?" Ally scolded, "And yes, I've known Lucy since high school, remember? So, go on about her and Vero."

"Sorry, yeah," Lauren said, "Their law firm transferred them to Boston a few months ago, so they're already living in MA also. But anyway, we were FaceTiming them earlier today and they were talking about all the covers that we've been posting throughout this trip and they were wondering if we'd be willing to perform a 30 to 45-minute set at their law firm's annual New Year's Eve charity event. You know, as Fifth Harmony and stuff. They're even willing to fly you guys out."

Camila continued, "Yeah, Lo and I were thinking you guys could maybe come sometime after Christmas and stay with us at our new place. And then we'd have a few days to practice before the performance. Plus, we'll all get to ring in the New Year together! What do you guys think? Ken, Vicky, and Troy are all welcome too, of course. We told them that they'd probably need to pay for six plane tickets."

"I'm down for this. I love your covers!" Troy said and all of us cooed our own rendition of 'Aww, thanks Troy' as Ally kissed him on the cheek.

"Count us in then!" Ally said.