Chapter 23: Dragon Tales

August 2022 (5.5 years after Vercy)

Lucy's POV

After Vero left, I lost interest in everything. Lauren, Alexa, and Camila helped me get back on track and convinced me to stay optimistic. It took me a few extra months to finish undergrad, but I did it. I hadn't found Vero yet, but I wanted to be good enough for her when I did. So, I held my head high and kept going.

I went to Harvard for law school and right after passing my bar exams, I was hired by Duane Morris LLP, a social services law firm based in Washington DC. I was nervous for my first day on the job as a qualified lawyer, but proud for finally achieving my dream career.

I walked into the firm and looked around with a huge grin. I checked in with the receptionist and waited in the lobby for the person who was supposed to show me around.

"Lucia Vives?" a young brunette asked me.

"Hi, please call me Lucy," I said as I stood up and offered her my hand.

"Sarah Narcise, nice to meet you," she said shaking my hand, "Welcome to Duane Morris, please follow me."

Sarah gave me a tour of the office and introduced me to several people. The first half of my day was mostly just filled with paper work and getting security clearance and keys. Then Sarah led me to a small office with glass doors. I grinned broadly when I saw 'Lucia Vives' written on the plaque.

"This is your office, Lucy. Why don't you settle in and then meet me in the break room at 12:30 for lunch?"

"Sure. Thanks Sarah! I'll see you soon."

I looked outside my window and saw the Washington monument in the distance. Score. At 12:25, I went down to the lunch area. Sarah was already there, chatting with a group of people huddled around a table. When she saw me, Sarah introduced me to everyone.

"I have to go, but make sure you sign Ronnie's card! I'll swing by her place and drop it off with some flowers and balloons," one of my new co-workers said, "Lucy, you should sign it too!"

After she left, I turned to Sarah and asked, "What's with the card?"

"One of our lawyers was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago, so we all wanted to show her some love," Sarah replied, "Ronnie's been the heart and soul of the firm ever since she joined last year. You're gonna love her when you meet her. She's off for a few weeks for surgery, but hopefully she'll be back in no time. I know you don't know her, but go for it. She could use all the luck and love," Sarah said, pushing one of the 'Get Well Soon' cards toward me.

I bent down to sign the card, but something caught my eye. Most of the messages were addressed to 'Ronnie' but a few were addressed to 'Veronica' and some even said 'Ms. Iglesias'. Vero!? My heart leapt in excitement, but then I remembered what Sarah had said. Cancer?

"What did you say her full name was?" I asked Sarah.

"Veronica Iglesias. Why? Do you know her?"

"Do you know where she went to school?"

"Yale."

"Sorry, I meant for undergrad."

"UC Berkeley. But I think she might have transferred from UCLA at some point."

My heart was pounding so loudly that I didn't hear what Sarah was saying till she touched my hand. "Huh?" I asked, snapping out of my thoughts.

"I asked if you knew her," Sarah said again.