Chapter 24: Destiny's Children

March 2023 (4.5 years since Norminah)

Normani's POV

My relationship with Kendrick was no less than a fairytale. A year after I graduated from college, he asked me to move in with him. His mansion had an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, several hot tubs, a movie theater, a lavish game room, a fully equipped bar, and even a mirrored dance studio built just for me. I could not be happier.

Even my ultimate dream finally came true. I was working with Beyoncé. She needed dancers for her new video album and tour and I was one of the lucky ones that she'd handpicked. I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement till her album was released, so no one, not even Kendrick or my family, knew that I was working for the Queen. The first time I met Beyoncé, I almost fainted. But she was really nice and treated each of us like a friend, so soon, I got used to being around her without feeling nauseous.

All the dancers lived in a huge house in L.A. For each song, we got a week to learn the choreo with Beyoncé and recorded the video the following week; so, each song took about two weeks to complete on our part. Sometimes we were just extras in the video, but we still had to rehearse choreo for the upcoming tour. Kendrick was getting restless because we hadn't seen each other in three months, but luckily, we only had one last song to do before we got a break.

It was day one of learning the new song, which meant that the dancers and choreographers would be hearing the new song for the first time. The other dancers and I were stretching when Beyoncé came into the studio with her team.

"Circle up everyone!" one of the choreographers announced and everyone formed a loose circle. I noticed that Beyoncé's usual team, today, consisted of people that I didn't recognize. Before I had a chance to look too closely at the new arrivals, however, one of my friends started talking to me and I got distracted.

"Attention please!" Beyoncé said and we all looked at her, "I'd like you all to meet some of the songwriters for this album. Miss Victoria Monet. Miss Sia Furler. And Miss Dinah Jane Hansen."

"Whattup?" Dinah said with a small wave to the circle at large.

My heart leapt in surprise. I hadn't seen Dinah since I'd dropped her off to the airport after my graduation. My eyes scanned eagerly over her features. Dinah was a lot leaner and looked really good with her new dark blonde hair. When my eyes glanced over her black "BOY" snapback, I realized that Dinah was staring right back at me with an equally dumbstruck expression. We grinned broadly at each other.

"All right everyone, mingle and stretch! We'll start in ten," Beyoncé said and the circle dispersed.

The Victoria chick started talking to Dinah, but Dinah kept eyeing me as I weaved through people to reach her. The other girl stopped talking when she saw me.

"Dinah Jane," I said, grinning broadly and ignoring the other girl.

"Normani Kordei," Dinah retorted with a similar grin. We simultaneously hugged each other. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed Dinah's hugs and held her longer than I probably should have.

The other chick, Victoria, asked, "How'd you guys know each other?"

Dinah pulled away and said, "Mani was my housemate in college. We haven't seen each other in what?"

"Almost four and a half years," I offered.

"Wow. Been a minute, huh?" Dinah said.

"Wow! You went to college with D-Mac? Girl, you gotta tell me all about her wild days," Victoria said.