Prologue

Prologue

Supersonic: being, having, or capable of reaching a speed in excess of the speed of sound

▲ Supersonic: being, having, or capable of reaching a speed in excess of the speed of sound ▲

ZAYN'S POV

I shift the car into gear and hit the gas pedal even harder. The addictive adrenaline is flowing through my veins, but not like it used to. I'm so used to it by now, it's not even a high anymore. There was once a time when it was the best feeling I'd ever experienced, but now I found myself chasing the feeling; I was speeding faster, I was driving more dangerously, I was wagering more money. It was both as addictive and as dangerous as heroin.

That's not to say that I didn't still crave the feeling of being behind the wheel. I don't think there's anything else out there that could feel as good as this does. There really wasn't anything else I wanted to do with my spare time other than sit behind the wheel of this car.

Even better than the actual race is the high associated with winning. I've never lost. I don't lose. I've become so accustomed to coming out victorious that it doesn't always affect me anymore. Sure, it inflates my ego but it doesn't always give me that wonderful high that I once knew.

My surroundings are whirring past me. I don't even bother to take in the trees, buildings, cars, and the people. I just push down even harder and I focus on gripping onto the steering wheel, and watch the other cars in my rear-view mirror.

The sound of engine fills my ears and my heart rate picks up. It's my favourite sound. A sound I'd love to hear fill my ears for the remainder of my life.

I have to win this, there isn't any other option. I don't lose. I can't remember the last time I ever lost a race. This was what I was known for—overtaking my opponents quickly, being ruthless, and always ending up victorious.

Racing has always involved intense concentration because of the sudden breaking, the sharp corners, the hard acceleration, and all of the unexpected things that could happen at any moment that I always had to be prepared for. Physically, it was exhausting. Mentally, it was absolutely exhilarating.

My car is highly responsive to my movements—its temperament is something I've had to learn to deal with. At high speeds every little bump or curve in the road once caused the car to jerk and it was a struggle at first, but once I'd figured it out I was unstoppable.

We are an unstoppable force together.

When I drift around the next corner, I can see the familiar orange car drafting my tailgate. When he finally pulls out from behind me and attempts to make a pass, I push down harder on the accelerator, but don't pull away from him, much to my disappointment. Drew's car was fast, it'd always been, and he was famous for doing the most reckless things possible to win but he didn't always win. Engine to engine my car couldn't keep up with him though I'd never admit that to him.