Chapter 26: The Bombing of Rohron

Rohron is huge. Absolutely huge.

The streets are congested with impatient people jostling to get to the best stores first.

My six companions and I lay low in a dirty inexpensive inn where I refuse to sit on the beds because they're probably infested with bed bugs. All of us are crowded into a too-small one-bed bedroom.

"But how do we get in?" Sky says from the head of the bed.

Rafe leans against the small armoire. "They're expecting Flint and his brothers to come get Lilly but-"

"They aren't expecting Danica." Lukas finishes.

"Exactly." Rafe huffs. "What we truly need is a diversion so Danica and I can rescue Lilly."

"Something big enough to distract the King and his guards." Asher points out.

"Like an invasion," Ashton says from beside Sky.

"Or an explosion," I say aloud. All heads turn to me but my eyes remain fixed on the floor. "After what happened at the ball we can recreate the bomb that was planted."

"How do we get it there?" Sky asks no one in particular.

Flint finally speaks up from where he's remained silent this whole time. "I'll go. They'll catch me once the bomb is set in place. I'll be taken to the dungeons well away from the sight of the bomb. Lukas and Asher will wait to release me after the explosion when the whole castle is in chaos. Ashton, Sky, and Rivers will wait beyond the walls watching and waiting. It's the safest option."

"Is it safe sending in a Crown Prince and Crown Princess into our enemies capitol?" Lucas says.

"There is nothing to worry about, we can handle ourselves." I sigh.

"We leave at nightfall." Flint nods.

. . .

We spent several long hours going over our plans, palace maps, and outlines, perfecting everything.

We set out on only four horses because more would be much too hard to conceal.

We ride through Galdor and to the palace walls. We split up, me, Rafe, Rivers, and Sky to the West Side, Flint, Lucas, and Asher to the South Side.

When we reach the walls I count 3 minutes before digging the can of tar out of my saddle bag. "You two stay here." I look at Rivers and Sky and give them a small smile. "Be ready and be careful."

Rafe and I both cover out fingers and boots in the sticky substance. We lock eyes before too easily scaling the worn cobblestone wall. There are plenty of places for our hands and shoes to grab hold of. I swing my legs over and land soundlessly on the roof.

"Duck!" Rafe yells as I hit the floor. He launches a dagger and it embeds itself in an oncoming guard.

Yanking the blade from the fallen guard's chest, I jump to my feet. I hand the dagger back to Rafe so he can sheath it after killing two more guards and entering the palace.

We expertly navigate our way through the hallways, thanks to the maps we memorized. We sneak into the throne room through the servant doors, the room is dark, empty.

"Something isn't right." Rafe whispers and raises his sword.

"Hello Danica, dear."

My head snaps up.

And standing there is him. The Lord of the Wind, of all things dark. The other end to the bond, my other half. And probably the last person I ever want to see.