Chapter 21: Before the Ball

If I said I wasn't nervous about this dinner, I'd be lying.

The dining hall is certainly large - like every other room in this palace. Several long tables run from one side to another.  Castle Guard eat at the tables.

Laughing and the clink of silverware rings throughout the hall.  All of the food is set up family style, so Guardsmen serve themselves.

Ashton and I sit upfront with Rivers and Sky.

"Do you guys always eat here?"  I ask Sky.

"Not always,"  Sky shovels chicken in his mouth.  "Sometimes our parents will make us eat with them."

"Thank goodness that isn't tonight,"  I mumble.

"Ready for the ball tomorrow night?"  Rivers smirks at me.  Again.

"No."  Pushing the food around on my plate I grimace.

"Why's that?"  He leans back and wipes his mouth off with a napkin.

"I can't," I cough loudly trying to cover up my words.  "Dance." Cough cough.

"I'm sorry what was that?"  Rivers leans forward and sticks a finger in his ear like he's cleaning it out.

"I can't dance,"  I say clearly.  "Alright, happy now?"

"The all-mighty Danica can't do something?"  He scoffs.

"Lay off, Rivers."  Ashton's tone contains warning.

"No, no, let him be,"  I say.  "I wiped the floor with his ass in the sparring ring today."

I guess I said it a little too loud or maybe the whole room was listening in because the whole dining hall erupts in laughter.  Including Ashton and Sky.

You can basically see the steam coming out of Rivers ears.  I scan the crowd and find only one person who isn't laughing, Lucas Williams.  He is scowling at his untouched plate.  I'm starting to think he really doesn't like me.

The doors open and Flint struts into the room.  The laughter dissolves immediately.  He comes up to the head table where I sit with his brothers.  "All four of you have been summoned to the ballroom."  He says stiffly.

We all rise and make our way through the hall.  Guardsmen avert their eyes as we make our way past.  These men do not like Flint and I want to know why.

The ballroom is massive.  And I mean massive.  The recently polished marble floors shine and I look down and can see my haunted reflection.  Three crystal chandeliers dangle from the ceiling, illuminating the whole space.  The ceiling is embroidered with gold leaf and intricate designs.  On one side of the room, floor to ceiling windows are concealed by elegant curtains.  Opposite of that wall, several doors open into the servant passageways. 

We climb down stairs that extend farther out as we go down.  The stairs are also marbel, made to match the dance floor.

Servants scurry around the ballroom carrying white flowers, chairs, tables, clothes, and other decorations.  The Queen is in the middle of it all, directing servants, and simply putting everything into place.

When she sees her sons coming, she smiles.  "Boys!"  She hugs her youngest son.  "Everything will be just perfect for the ball.  I called you to make sure the entrance lineup  is perfect."

All of the boys groan.

"Ashton will go first, escorting Lilliana.  Sky will follow him and then Rivers.  Me and your father next and finally, Flint."  The Queen turns to me.  "Danica, honey, you will already be inside.  No need for you to be here."