Chapter 16: Escape

"How do you know who I am?" I ask as he unties me.

"I was your father's military commander." He says simply.

He lifts me out of my restraints as I say, "But what's your name?"

"Caspian Stellan, at your service milady," He sweeps into a low bow and looks at me with a huge grin.

I hear Rafe draw in a breath from where he's laying on the table. I rush over to him and motion for Caspian to untie Kalen.

"I've heard stories about you," Rafe says. "Told around the campfire in military camps. Cruel, ruthless stories."

"Sounds about right," Caspian mumbles.

When Kalen and Rafe are free, I let Rafe lean on me as we try to decide the best way to get out of this house.

"There's a back exit down those stairs there." I say and point to a door. "It leads into the garden and we can scale the wall."

"We need to hurry," Caspian says. "Let's go."

We rush through and down a dark, narrow stairwell. I can't see anything but I use my training as an assassin to follow the sound of Caspian's footsteps. Rafe is supported on my shoulder and Kalen is directly behind us.

We file out of the stairwell and into the garden with a quick scan of the area to make sure no guards were by.

Caspian and Kalen were over the six foot wall and I was preparing to help lift Rafe over when we hear foot steps.

"There they are!" "Get them!" "Let's go!"

Kalen reached a hand down and helped pull a half-conscious Rafe over the stone wall. "Caspian, help me!" He gritted out.

Caspian grabbed Rafe's hand and easily pulled him over.

Guards were sprinting towards me. "Caspian!" I yell. He reaches a sturdy hand towards me and a grab it. I use my feet to push off the stone to give myself leverage. I was almost over when something stops me.

A guard had caught me around the waist. "CASPIAN!" I screamed.

"I've got you and I'm not letting go!" He yelled back.

I flail out with my legs and my knee connects with the guard's face. He instantly lets go and I was launched onto the wall right on top of Caspian's strong chest.

He looks me directly in the eye from where we were laying face to face. His eyes are so blue. He grins as I roll off him. "Thanks for that," I mumble, avoiding eye contact.

He laughs. Kalen and Caspian support Rafe between them and we set off back towards Uncle Gabriel's castle.

I run ahead of the boys and buy three horses off of some old man. Kalen will ride with Rafe and Caspian and I will ride solo.

We set off at a gallop as we pass by Tobiah's estate.

I feel a sense of uncomfort. The sick man who owns that estate tried to torture my friends. He had tried to hurt them. I will kill him. I will end him for what he tried to do to my friends - to the people I love.

When we get to the outer edges of the city I stop my horse.

"Something isn't right." No birds sing, there is no one in sight, and there is a rustling in the tree. "GO!" I scream.

Ash arrows start flying from all directions. We sprint through, dodging shots, and steering our horses through the chaos.

Arrows fly past my horse and skin my face. I scream as one barley misses my face and cuts my arm. Caspian turns around with a concerned look on his face. I motion for him to keep going. I duck lower on my mount.

We ride and ride, Kalen and Rafe are almost out. Pain. Fiery pain. I tumble off my mount and hit the dirt with a sickening crunch.

I grunt and look toward the source of the pain to see an ash arrow sticking out of my thigh. Everything is dizzy. "DANICA!" Kalen screams.

"I'VE GOT HER! KEEP GOING!" Roars Caspian.

Kalen looks uncertain but he knows he has to get Rafe out. Caspian jumps off his horse and scoops me into his arms.

The pain is some of the worst I've ever experienced.

<3
Danica will grow to a stronger character as the book progresses. Keep reading to stay with Danica during her adventure.

Xoxo,
DD