Chapter 19: Betrayal

The betrayal stings. To think I ever believed Rafe - trusted him.

And Caspian, he knew my father. He was best friends with my father, they were like brothers. And this is how they repay him.

Lilly is still on business so I lock myself in my study. I recline in the large leather chair behind the desk, studying the portraits that decorate the study walls.

Most had been cleared out after... Morgana's betrayal. The dusty desk and chair were the only pieces of furniture left. One portrait had been left uncovered but three still remain covered by white cloth.

I pad over to the first covered painting and tug at the corner of the white sheet. I do the same for the remaining two.

The back of my knees hit the desk as I back away from the portraits like the ghosts of those people have returned to this world. Lined up, it hurts my heart.

I'm tired of these games. I'm tired of playing cat and mouse, I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

I storm out of the room without a second glance back.

. . .

I'm in my riding leathers, saddling Nina when Lilly comes running in. Dirt stains the bottom of her beautiful gown and strands of her hair fall out of her regal updo.

"Lilliana?" I stop her and tuck a piece of hair behind her ear. She catches my hand and holds it to her cheek. "What? What's wrong?"

"I could ask you the same question!" She gives me a tired smile.

"Lilly, I have to do this. Someone is trying to seriously hurt everyone I care about and I won't stand by and wait." I continue tacking up Nina with my back turned to Lilly.

"So you're leaving? Without saying goodbye?" Lilly walks to the other side of Nina and assists me in adjusting the stirrups.

"Goodbyes make everything more difficult. Besides, I'm not leaving forever, I'll be back eventually."

"Promise me," Lilly take my hands in hers. "Promise me you'll return in a month."

"I promise you I'll return in exactly one month."

Lilliana believes me and steps back as I mount Snow.

"Stall everyone as much as you can so I can get a lead," I instruct. "If anyone asks where I went, tell them I had to finish what I started."

Lilliana Rosales nods, "Until we meet again, Danica Firedrake.

And I ride into the sunset.

<3
Next chapter coming out soon!
If you have any book suggestions for me, please let me know!
Love you all

Xoxo,
DD