Chapter 7: The Return of the Shadow Guard

When I wake up again, I'm alone in the bed and it's cold.  I slowly sit up, much too aware of the pain.  I swing my legs out of bed and stand up.  I gently make my way to the door and poke my head out.  I hear voices.

"You need to hand her over," I hear a gruff voice say.

"I told you, sir, we don't have a clue where she is."  Penelope responds.

"Search the rooms!"  The gruff voice says.

It only takes me a second to register that I need to hide.  I quickly pull up the sheets to make it look like no one was there.  I open the window and hastily, but as quickly as I can, I climb out. 

I use the oversized branches as footholds and ledges to pull myself up.  I have to get out of sight of the window. 

I continue climbing, as fast as I can go without hurting myself too much.

I sit on a branch covered with huge leaves.  I look down and curse myself, I left the window open.  Rookie mistake. 

"She's not in here, sir."

"The window!  Look out the window, you twit!"  The gruff voice calls, who I'm assuming is the commander.

I don't hear anything for a while and I grip the branch until my knuckles turn white.

"Not outside either, sir."

"Let's go,"  The commander says.

I wait a few moments before making my descent and swinging myself gracefully into the window and land on my feet.

I walk out to the kitchen and find Penelope and Kalen talking in hushed voices.

"Who was that?"  I ask warily.

"Oh, Danica!"  Kalen exclaims running to me.  "I had no idea what happened to you!  I was sure they would get you."

"I'm fine Kalen.  Where's Rafe?"

"He's out at the market.  It was a good thing too, they were looking for the Black Wolf and his female companion."

"They sacked the place!"  I exclaim, going to pick up the pieces from a shattered flower vase.  Chairs were flipped over, the carpet moved out of its original resting place, plates and glass shattered everywhere.  The door was even ripped off its hinges!

Rafe stepped through the open door gaping.  "What in the name of the Fae happened here?"

"Shadow Guard," Kalen says with disgust.  "They came looking for you and Danica."

Rafe look arounds the room hastily until his eyes rest on me by the window.  "Are you alright, Danica?  How did you not get caught?"

"I climbed out the window and hid in the tree."  I say with boredom.

"Is your injury ok?"  His eyes quickly glance at my bare stomach.  Whoopsie, I was in such a rush, I forgot that I was only wearing my undergarments and shorts.  I blush a deep scarlet.

"Heh," I duck back into Kalen's room to put a shirt on.

<3
Xoxo,
DD