Chapter 17: The Princess from Hortus

I awoke in my own my bed. My thigh ached like crazy when I tried to sit up.  To be expected, Kalen was asleep in the chair next to my bed. Poor Kalen looked exhausted.

I tugged the comforter off and swung my legs over the bed.  My thigh was tightly taped with medical wrap.

I grunt as I stand up and almost fall over when I take a step forward. I slowly, but efficiently, limp over to my bathing room and splash cold water on my face.

Looking in the mirror, I notice I'm a complete wreck.  My cheek has a deep red gash, my eyes are glossy and hollow, and my skin is a pale gray. I look terrible.

I sigh and exit the bathing room.  I stumble towards the door.  Shooting pain runs up my bad leg.

Crying out, I crash to the ground.

"Dani?"  Kalen calls out.  He rushes over to where I'm laying in a heap on the cold floor.  "Danica!  Are you alright?"

"Fine," I grumble.  "Just fine."

"Here, let me help you."  He scoops me up bridal style and lays my fragile frame on the bed.

"Thanks," I mumble.  Of there's anything I hate more than tomatoes, it's being helpless.  "Where's Caspian?"

Kalen returns to the chair by my bed and tells me, "He dumped you on your bed and left. No ones seen him since."

So he carried me home, dumped me on the step, and left me?  Who does that?

I settle into my blanket and mumble, "oh," before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

. . .

The next few days are a blur of doctors, Kalen, medicines for my injuries, and drifting in and out of restless sleeps.

Rafe and Caspian are absent the whole time.  Even Uncle Gabriel visits.

As I'm restlessly obsessing over Rafe and Caspian's absence, Kalen bursts into my room.  "Dani!"  He chirps.

I look up from the book I was trying to read.  "Good morning, Kalen!"  I smile.

"Are you feeling well enough to walk a bit?"  He plops down on the couch next to me.  "Your Uncle Gabriel has requested that you show Princess Lilliana around the castle."

"Oh!"  I practically jumped up at the sound of that.  "A girl my age?  I'm most definitely in!"  I jump up, for real this time, and cringe in pain. Kalen's steady arms are instantly there to support me.  I smile at him and move as fast as my wounded body will allow to my closet.

I select a deep red gown that drapes down to brush against the floor. Gold pumps and gold jewelry accommodate my dress nicely.  I braid my hair and place a polished gold diadem at the crown of my head.

First impressions are important, right?  Hopefully this gown will disguise the bruised assassin beneath it.  Of course, I avoid the mirror completely, my hollow, lifeless eyes always stare back at me.

Kalen escorts me down the hall arm-in-arm. He efficiently leads us to the castle entrance. 

We arrive at the wooden door at the front of the castle, Uncle Gabriel, Aunt Serena, and Erien greet us.  The royal family we are supposed to be hosting is pulling up in an elegant carriage.

Erien and Aunt Serena have been left in the dark as to what went down a few nights ago. They believe I came down with a cold and was ordered to bed rest.

"Good Morning, Danica."  Uncle Gabriel offers me a warm smile.  "Feeling better?"

"Much," My eyes seek out Princess Lilliana but the drapes are pulled tightly across the carriage windows.  The Royal members of the Silverthorne castle line up.  Uncle Gabriel followed by Aunt Serena, Erien, Kalen, and finally, me.  Kalen was asked to show Lilliana's older brother, Prince Ashton, around.  Erien has a meeting he must attend so he cannot do it.