Repent : Chapter Twenty-Three

I glared down at the messy haired Rogue, my blood boiling at the very sight of him. I tried to contain my anger. It was extremely hard to keep collected at this point. My nostrils flared. He peered up at me, closing an eye. He wore a faint smile.

"Hey Forestf-" I slammed my foot down onto his manhood before he could speak, causing him to curl up and whine.

"Don't you 'Hey Forestfae' me, you traitor!" I snarled. A few workers stopped to stare, but knew better than to watch for any longer. We were the higher ups. "You can't just say things like that and expect everything to be peachy after!" My long knife-shaped ears had ended up bending back against my head, expressing my distaste. It took him a moment to recover from my vicious attack. He sat up, looking up at me.

"Look, Fae. . .We've all had some negative energy since the trip." He was right, but I felt as if he was using it as cover. I kept prying.

"Bullshit! What happened to having drinks? Being a team?!" My nostrils flared as it was not tears that threatened my reputation this time, but rather attacking Kilgon once more.

"W-We can still be that!" He said, slowly standing to his feet, as if I were to knock him over once more. I was tempted to. I allowed him to stand to his feet. He rubbed his groin in discomfort for a moment, before gazing up at me with those honey hued eyes. I scowled at him. "Look, I trying to apologize."

"You tried to kill me!"

"I. . .I know. I totally fucked up. I'm pushing away the only family I really have - you and Equinos." He rubbed the back of his neck, his glowing gaze drifting away from my face. It was hard to tell if he was being sincere or not. We were rogues; lying is one of our strongest skills. Deception. In my gut though, I felt as if he was speaking from his heart.

"Why did you say the things you did?" I inquired, my tone becoming less harsh. He took in a deep breath, before shrugging.

"I don't know I just-" He choked on his words, tears brimming his eyelids. I observed this quietly. "I've lost my best friend to a force I can't fight. I'm just. . .I feel so helpless." He held his forehead with a hand, before running his lilac fingers through his crazy locks. His lip quivered as his gritted his teeth.

"What if I told you there was a way to fix him?" Another possible ally to free Equinos. At least I know Kilgon is caring of Equinos. He would be helping for the right reasons. His ears lifted slightly as he peered up at me.

"No way. . ." He muttered in disbelief.

"Here, come with me. I'll explain it to you." We were still out in the open. This wasn't the best place to inform Shuffletruff of my plot to break Equinos out with the help of a rival guild member as well as a Demon Huntress. I would be shot down right then and there.

I gave him a moment to stand properly. I did not aid him this time, my hands crossed over my chest. I motioned for him to follow me. Our feet move silently against the stone and wooden floor. I led him into an empty storage closet, shutting it behind me.

"So, what's this grand plan of yours? How can we save Equinos?" He asked, leaning back into some crates. I took in a deep breath.

"A Demon Huntress has been appearing around me lately. She warned me about the Old Gods - vaguely, mind you - and told me there is a way to fix him." I paused, knowing Shuffletruff greatly disliked Kalder. I thought for a moment whether I should inform him the Paladin was a major part that had to be played in this whole thing. "A paladin is aiding us as well. He knows a priestess who can clean up Equinos' mind." The messy haired rogue scrunched his nose up a bit. I narrowed my eyes at him. "Suck it up, buttercup. It's just this once."