29

one day.

fifty rebel soldiers.

eighty two rebel pilots.

six believers with the largest sum of false hope in the galaxy.

leia organa wouldn't write that last part on the transcript, but it was true. this was a suicide mission; no matter how many soldiers they had. the amount hope and courage the six of them, including the droid, was the largest the princess had ever seen in her entire life. these people were considered heroes and they hadn't even headed to the mission yet.

nonetheless, leia was worried. she didn't think the six rebels and their fleet would be able to conquer scarif and retrieve the plans, at least not unscathed. this was going to be a grueling mission, even for daring rebels like them.

this mission would be especially difficult because it wasn't like they were fighting on a desert wasteland; they were fighting on the largest imperial empire base in the regime, the largest concentration of evil in the entire galaxy, save for mustafar.

scarif had thousands of soldiers on those beaches, and twice as many tie fighters outside the surrounding forcefield. there was little chance of survival and smaller chance of success; but that didn't stop them, for whatever reason.

leia admired their bravery and was distressed to have to see them leave in one day; the last day she would most likely ever see those six people again.