31

cassian slid the u-wing door closed as k2 flipped switches in the front of the stolen freighter the alliance had on hand for their mission. he prepared the ship for takeoff as the rest of the crew settled in for the short flight to scarif. bodhi sat in the pilot's seat, as the freighter was a similar model to the one he flew as an imperial cargo pilot.

"all systems engaged," he muttered to k2 as he turned around in his seat. "prepare for takeoff." he said, slowly pushing the large level in front of him. the ship rose above the ground and into the air, flying off yavin and into the cold, dark vacuum of space that seemed to seep into the freighter, blackness surrounding bodhi and suffocating him as they flew further and further into the night.

"bodhi," cassian said, pulling the pilot away from his darkly introspective mind. "are you alright?"

"yea..." he answered quietly, trailing off. "im alright. k2, make the jump into hyperspace." he stood from his seat as k2 lifted the heavy black lever, shooting the freighter into hyperspace.

they were on their way to the most dangerous mission the rebellion has ever seen. bodhi still didn't let that register in his mind, even though he knew he had to at some point.

in his mind, he decided that when he inevitably died, that's when it would register.

--------------------

scarif was a lot nicer than cassian assumed. a tropical planet, but an evil one.

bodhi was nervous, cassian could tell, but who wouldn't be? they were on the most dangerous planet for a rebel in the galaxy, completely under cover.

bodhi had just slipped past the force field with an old code the freighter was equipped with. he seemed to know what he was doing, but after that he snapped right back to the nervous mess he was before hand.

they had made a battle plan in the freighter when they landed on pad 2. bodhi was to stick on the ship with chirrut and baze to contact the rebel fleet and defend the landing pad while cassian, jyn, and k2so went into the imperial archives (dressed as the inspecting officers that they shot as soon as they got on board) to try and find the plans. cassian was nervous, but everyone was, and k2 wasn't helping by ensuring that everyone knew their slim chances of survival.

cassian held onto bodhi's waist as they had a few blissful moments to spare, but they didn't last long enough.

"come on, cassian." jyn pushed, stepping onto the ramp that lead out of the freighter. cassian looked down at bodhi and sighed. he held bodhi's jaw and led him into a deep kiss, filled with both passion and desperation, saying "i love you" and "don't die" in the same action.

cassian pulled away and said nothing, as the look in his eyes was enough. he finally let go of bodhi's hand and disappeared off the ramp behind jyn and cassian.

bodhi turned to the small fleet behind him in the ship; pilots, technicians, assasians, monks, and soldiers, all standing for the same reason, all fighting for the same cause.

"let's get this over with."