38

cassian stirred the disgusting salad in front of him while baze and chirrut chatted across the mess hall table. they sat so close to each other, cassian noticed. he knew they were married, but he'd never seen such an emotional and spiritual bond like the one baze and chirrut had.

"no," baze said, low. "his left leg and his right arm."

"what?" cassian interrupted sternly.

"relax, captian," chirrut answered calmly. "i was simply asking which limbs your pilot has unfortunately lost." he smiled, friendly. "no harm done."

cassian sighed, looking back down at the food on the table. he stood up, throwing his bowl away as he walked out of the mess hall.

"his face is no longer one of a friends." baze commented as the captain disappeared around the corner. "he is riddled with guilt and sadness."

"i know," chirrut answered his husband softly. "the force moves slow and heavy around the captain now, heavier than i have ever seen." he laughed, tapping the corner of his eye.

baze elbowed him. "not the time." he scolded back, although he found the joke amusing. "the captain has a very heavy heart. that pilot means a lot to him."

chirrut nodded. "captain andor, he feels guilty for letting mr rook go into battle and get hurt. he feels responsible and he's letting it get to him."

baze hummed lowly in agreement. "it's dangerous. if that pilot does not survive, i doubt the captain will."

chirrut smiled, knowingly. "bodhi," he said, wrapping his fingers around his staff tighter.

"he is strong."