11

seven days.

seven days since bodhi got shot, seven days since bodhi slipped into a coma, seven days since cassian smiled, seven days since cassian laughed. cassian ate four times in those past seven days, and slept one.

the constant silence was driving cassian mad. he was becoming defensive; yesterday he snapped at k2 before apologizing, but k2 understood.

to an extent, at least. k2 has seen cassian grieve before; he lost a pilot in his squadron a year and a half ago, and that's why he flies solo now. but even in the days following the pilot's death, k2 had never seen cassian react like this.

i mean, at least the captain ate.

k2 stopped giving his input when he told cassian that bodhi had an 87.6 percent chance of survival, because for once k2 couldn't tell is he had helped or harmed cassian by telling him.

cassian slumped into his seat next to bodhi's bed at 0600 hours, because that's the time he was let in. they stopped letting him in at 0400 hours; senator mothma was extremely concerned for him.

he took a hold of bodhi's hand as a silent tear slipped down cassian's face. he sat quietly next to his bed as their intwined hands rested on the bed at bodhi's side.

it was about 0830 hours, and the base was starting to stir. people walked past the medbay and watched cassian with pity.

just as cassian was about to leave, bodhi's hand twitched against the captain's. he stood up as bodhi's arms and legs began to wake up.

cassian put his hand on bodhi's shoulder and stood above him. his eyes fluttered before they opened halfway.

bodhi's half open doe eyes looked up at cassian, lethargic.

he smiled "cass..." he whispered, trailing off.

cassian beamed, holding the side of bodhi's face. "hey, bodhi." he said.

bodhi patted the side of the bed, and cassian moved onto the bed, sitting next to him. bodhi hugged himself to cassian, head on his shoulder. he was tired; he could barely move, and his right side sent shocks of pain up his spine. this didn't stop bodhi from moving as close as possible to cassian. he looked up at the captain, who had silent tears running down his face.

bodhi's bruised face was only inches away from cassian's as he wiped the tears off of the captain's face with his thumb.

"no tears," he whispered hoarsely. "i'm here now."

cassian smiled. "i missed you, bodhi. a lot." he said, the pilot slipping onto his back and resting his head in cassian's lap. he smiled as bodhi lifted his head up to take out the loose ponytail at the back of his head.

cassian marveled at how beautiful bodhi was. he'd never seen the pilot without his ponytail in, and his long hair sprawled across cassian's lap. he took the pilot's unwashed hair into his hands and ran his thin fingers through his chocolate hair.

they sat in comfortable silence until bodhi blurted out, "i heard things, i heard stuff while i was asleep."

cassian froze. he was really glad bodhi didn't understand spanish all too well.

"what does mi amor mean?" the pilot asked, looking up at cassian innocently. the captain looked down, nervous, at the utterly stunning man in front of him. "i heard you say it while i was out," he added. "at least i think you were talking to me, or else i'd be the worst eavesdropper in the world, and-"

"it- it was you." cassian interrupted as he subconsciously pulled bodhi's hair into a loose braid. "i was talking to you. mi amor... it means my love." he said, swallowing hard.

bodhi laughed, a real toothy smile. his eyes were closed, but he took a hold of cassian's large hand and played with his palm. "i love you too, cassian."

cassian lifted bodhi's hand and kissed the back of it. the pilot in his lap hummed, falling asleep on cassian's leg.

and for the first time in seven days, cassian slept comfortably.