16

this was the rebellion.

dirt, blood, and effort. cassian wanted it to be their motto.

the man who had been brought in as a prisoner, a sympathizer with the empire, now wanted to take on the largest imperial base in the galaxy alone.

plus, he couldn't kriffing walk.

according to the princess, as soon as bodhi rook could walk without his crutches, they were to head to jedha where they would seek saw gerera, an extremist vital to their mission.

cassian was worried. cassian was worried because the man currently asleep on top of him was sad; depressed, even. he hated himself and cassian had no idea how to help him. and now, the pilot wanted to hurl himself into the most dangerous mission the alliance has ever seen. nothing made sense in cassian's mind; everything was always scrambled. bodhi helped him make sense of everything that jumbled around in his brain.

but lately, he's been quiet. never talking, never cracking any sideways jokes like he usually did. he started sleeping a lot too; bodhi had been asleep on cassian's lap for two hours now, but that's because he was sick. cassian wondered if it was because the pilot couldn't wander anymore. the kid liked to walk around the base for hours and absorb the surroundings, but now that he was wheelchair bound, he couldn't go anywhere without cassian.

cassian loved him. he really, really loved bodhi. he'd never loved someone romantically, but he'd heard about it on the base. squadron leader wedge antilles talked about his farmer boyfriend, some kid named luke. he never stopped talking about him and how great of a pilot and how great of a kisser he is. cassian was the only one who would listen to wedge; mostly because he wanted to know what it was like to love someone.

he had an idea now. bodhi gave him an idea of what it was like to love someone, and to be loved. cassian didn't exactly know, but he guessed the utmost devotion towards bodhi was the love speaking. it was the fact that cassian would sacrifice himself in order to save the pilot asleep on him.

"cass," bodhi interrupted. "cass i'm gonna throw up again."

"shit." cassian breathed as he helped him sit up and gave him the metal trash can next to the bed. he rubbed circles on the small of bodhi's back as he hurled into the bucket.

bodhi tipped his head back and handed the bucket to cassian, who set it gently on the ground. bodhi patted cassian's leg as he sat up, moving down the small bed to the end. he grabbed his crutches and pushed himself up, stumbling to the bathroom. cassian dozed off as bodhi brushed his teeth in the other room, the noise of the running water lulling cassian to sleep.

"hey, sleepy." bodhi said as he limped back into the room, smug faced.

cassian smiled and closed his eyes as bodhi settled back onto the bed. he laid his head in cassian's lap, and cassian took out his loose ponytail and slowly ran his fingers through this soft hair.

yep, this was the rebellion.

dirt, blood and effort. not many people had a distraction from the reality that it was.

cassian was glad he finally did.