22

orson callan krennic was director of the superweapon he claimed to be the death star. he forced galen erso into the project of engineering the superweapon just after the clone wars, when the republic became the imperial empire. galen erso was his best friend during the galactic republic's future program, and was a gifted student. orson was second to him in everything, despite galen being 5 years younger than him. they never had much competition between them, but there was one time.

one time galen erso and orson krennic fought, but it wasn't for years to come.

galen had met lyra on a six month mission on espinar in 26 BBY. by the end of the mission, they were lovers, and by 25 BBY, they were married.

galen was at one of the highest positions in the republic engineering system, but gave it all up when the empire started fueling itself on fear. on hatred. the regime he worked for was not the party he joined several years ago, and he wasn't going to stand for it. and when orson krennic heard the news, he was livid.

beside himself, he confronted galen when he was leaving, but galen told orson he had no place working for a regime such as the republic.

and months before the clone wars broke out, months before executive order sixty six, months before the republic became the imperial empire, galen and lyra moved to an outer rim planet and settled.

they only had about twelve years before orson krennic, now director of the first galactic empire's imperial service, would finally find him. he would murder his wife in the cold blood, and kidnap galen, forcing him into the program and construction of what is now the death star.

the death star. the superweapon hovering over jedha, the superweapon fueled by the planet's rich source of kyber.

the superweapon with its target on jedha city.

----------------

bodhi had lived in jedha for most of his early life, but he was not aware of the cultural goldmine he resided in. the imperial empire never spoke of temples such as the ones the pilot was in right now; hundreds of feet tall and thousands of years old.

this temple stopped being religious centuries ago and is now where chirrut and baze claim the rebel extremist saw gerrera reside, about a mile outside the city.

they entered the temple, and bodhi looked around nervously.

"cass-"

"halt!" bodhi was interrupted by a large man, face covered in black paint markings. he bore black armor and a large, black staff. he was surrounded by other guards dressed like jedha dwellers, but they all had handheld blasters pointed at the four.

"we seek saw gerrera," cassian said as the guards stood suspiciously around them. "can you take us to him?"

the guards looked at each other before grabbing the four, stuffing bags over each one of their heads as they resisted.

"seriously?" chirrut asked as they shoved a brown burlap bag over his head. "i'm blind!"

the guards pushed cassian, chirrut, and baze into guard cells on the left wall of the temple floor. the largest guard, dressed in all black, closed the gate while holding onto bodhi with his other large hand.

cassian pulled the bag off his head. he looked around, noticing bodhi's absence.

"bodhi!" he yelled as the pilot was dragged across the floor. he stood up abruptly, slamming into the thick iron bars of his cell. "where are you taking him!?" cassian screamed after the guard. a large alien threw a can against his cell bars, causing him to take a step back.

baze lifted the bag off his head and turned to chirrut, who sat criss-cross on the floor of the cell. he pulled the bag off the blind monk's head, and chirrut smiled slightly in thanks.

cassian watched out the bars in immense worry. this isn't what he had in mind at all.

------------------

bodhi was nervous.

no. nervous was an understatement.

bodhi was scared shitless.

he was being hauled across a large temple to force knows where by force knows who. the only thing bodhi did know was that cassian wasn't beside him, which was the real factor making the pilot terrified.

the man holding onto bodhi stopped walked and shoved him onto his knees. he pulled the bag off the pilot's head, revealing a large man standing in front of him.

that is, if he even was a man. he seemed to be half bionic, he had two fake mechanical legs and a mostly mechanical body, but his face was very real.

"who are you?" he asked in a raspy, strained voice.

"b-bodhi," he said, anxious. "bodhi rook."

the man narrowed his eyes. "you're the defected cargo pilot." he said, stepping forward.

bodhi swallowed. "i am. my partner and i have come seeking saw gerrera."

the man stayed where he was. he reached to his chest, where he pulled the oxygen mast off his chest plate and sucked a breath through it, creating an eerie sound. he let go of the mask dramatically, letting it fall against his black chest plate.

"you've found him," saw gerrera said, eyeing bodhi's shoulder where the imperial patch once was, now a scratched out mess. "but that's an imperial jumpsuit."

bodhi's stomach dropped.

"bor gallet!"