Chapter 1

"Cassy can you help me?" Tod asked.

"Yah sure cutie." I said walking over to the 3 year old.

I bent over and helped him tie his shoe to go outside.

"Thanks Cassy." He said giving me a hug.

"Don't forget your coat! Bye! See you tomorrow." I called after him.

I just got finished wiping down the last table so I grabbed my purse.

"Are you done hun?" Judy asked.

"Yah. Thanks for letting me eat here."

"Don't mention it, sweetie. You're always welcome here."

Judy gave me a hug and watched me walk out the door. It was cool outside so I wrapped my coat around me tighter. My name is Cassandra. I'm 17 and I live with my adopted dad and older brother. Life is......well I guess I'm surviving. Besides me getting hit on all the time by my brother. How sick is that? My father works all the time to try to keep up with us. I work at the community Child Care center, with Judy and some other people. Judy is like the mother I never had. She feeds me when she knows I haven't eaten, and she gives me her daughters old clothes. I heard a trash can lid bang against the sidewalk. I shot up and saw a group of guys coming my way. It probably wasn't smart cutting through an alley at night.

"Look who's out late." The one in the middle said.

"Go away Keith." I spat.

"Oh. Sis. Be nice to your older brother." He slurred.

He was obviously drunk, I smelt it off of him.

"Come on we're going home, and we're gonna have some fun."

Keith came toward me and grabbed both of my wrists. I tried to jerk away, but he was too strong. He waved bye to his friends, and his friends looked at me like animals. They whistled and smacked my butt. I winced and tried to kick them, but Keith kept dragging me. So I finally just gave up. The walk home was long and painful. We finally got home and he threw me inside.

"Dad!" He screamed out to get no answer.

This was a bad time for him to be working overtime. I got off of the floor and headed upstairs.

"Where do you think your going?" Keith called after me.

"To bed." I said backing away from him.

"Yah. We are."

I backed up against the wall and Keith put an arm out on either side of me.

"I meant alone, you creep."

"Don't act like you don't want it."

"I'm not acting."

Keith drew a hand and slapped me across the face. He grabbed my wrists again and kissed me.

"I hate you!" I screamed.

"Say it louder babe." Keith moaned.

"You're such a freak!" I yelled and kneed him in the crotch.

He backed away and loosened up his grip. I twisted away from him and ran to my room. I ran in and slammed the door and locked it.

"Cassandra! Open the damn door!" Keith yelled beating on the door.

"Hell no!" I screamed back.

I went to my bed and cried into my pillow. 'Please make him go away.' I silently prayed. Suddenly the noise stopped and I heard a loud bang! I opened the door and saw my friend Ryleigh.

"Oh Thank god!" I said and ran toward her.

She gave me a hug and followed me into my room. I shut my door and saw she had a grocery bag. It's either ice cream or cookies, or even better both.

"What'd he do now?" She asked.

"He almost raped me. He got closer than he has before."

"Damn! I wish they didn't adopt you. I could've convinced my mom I wanted a sister. You shouldn't live here!"

"Thanks Ry but you wouldn't of known me a year ago."

"Yah. I would've looked at you and been like; Her! I want her! Friendship canethus! I would've seen is being best friends."

"Ummm. Ok. Now what's in the bag!!"

"Jeez hold on fatty!"

I didn't bother to argue with her, I eat like a sumo wrestler. She pulled out a Chocolate Delights pint of ice cream, and a Chocolate Chip Mint pint. I grabbed the mint and a spoon and dug in.

"Holy Crap, did I ever mention that I love you?!" I said stuffing another bite in my mouth.

"On many occasions, yes." She said taking a bite of hers.

I put in a movie when we were done and we watched it silently. Soon we were both asleep and snoring lightly.

*************************************

Sorry that it's going pretty slow. It'll get better! This chapter is dedicated to my newest friend @CelticNiall She's amazing! Be sure to check her out! Thanks for reading! Picture of Cassandra on the side!