Chapter 12

We soon heard heavy stomping pound up the stairs and toward Niall's room. It honesty sounded like a troop of trolls taking over the house and I wondered if the person knew how to walk. I looked over at Ry, absolutely petrified. I was pretty confident that all of this would work when I was talking to Niall, but now I'm not so sure. There are so many things that can go wrong and so much is at stake. I felt Ry grasps hand gently and she nodded at me. She's right. Whatever happens, happens. There are just some things that are out of our control.

"I love you Ry. Thank you for being my only best friend." I said through tears.

"What would I do without you? You're my imaginative sister. I love you so much."

The door swung open harshly and we both jumped.

"See you on the big side." Ry said, laughing weakly.

"God, his life sucks." The Doll mumbled while sitting on Niall's bed.

Come on then. Open the present. His foot was literally right beside Ry and I. I could touch him if I wanted, but that would blow our cover. So we just waited and stayed hidden.

"But I'm not going back to that hell they call a DayCare. Any life is better than that life."

Does he normally talk to himself or is it just a side effect of being crazy? He shifted in the bed slightly and I heard the bag on the bed crumble.

"What's this? A present?" I heard him question.

I heard the contents move around until he must've found Niall. I heard nothing for a solid minute and each second felt like a lifetime. What's going on up there? Then I saw an eerie green glow come from the bed and I smiled. Niall started the wish and once he starts he's stuck to the doll's hand.

"Hey?! How did you? No! I can't go back! No!" We heard the doll scream.

The glow got unbearable and we had to shut our eyes and we kept them shut until we heard a loud thud hit the ground. I slowly removed my hands and saw that the doll is now back to being a doll. I saw Niall stand up from the bed and jump around in a little dance. I smiled out in happiness until Ry touched my shoulder. I turned toward her and saw her horrified face.

What I didn't notice at first was how short we still were. How the doll was the same size as us. How Niall was so much taller. How we didn't grow back along with Niall.

My heart sunk to my stomach and I started panicking. What's going on?

"Why didn't it work for us?" I asked, practically bawling.

Tears streamed down Ry's face as she was at a loss for words. We walked out from under the bed and Niall's eyes found mine.

"W-What? It was supposed to-" Niall said but couldn't finish.

He dropped down to his knees and stared at us. It was silent for a while. No one spoke a word.

"I promise, even if it's the last thing I do, I will figure this out. Ok Cass? Promise. I lo-"

And then everything went silent, dark, and stiff. I had no control of anything and it was almost like I was asleep. In a really deep sleep but I could still control my thoughts and dreams. I only had one thought though.

We failed.

* * *

I cried out as Cass' and Ry's lifeless doll bodies hit the floor.

We failed. I failed.

What have I done? I didn't know what to do so I went to the doll that started it all. I picked it up and ripped it apart, all the while tears blurred my vision. Then I went outside and burned each part one at a time.

Did it bring them back? No.

Did it make me feel any better? No.

But will he do this again? No.

Millions of thoughts raced through my mind as the plastic slowly melted on the sidewalk. But only one thought was clear.

I would not rest until Cass and Ry are human again.