Memories After All

Start from the beginning

"Yeah...But I wonder what happened?"

These are just a few of the words I hear exchanged by my classmates, especially between girls, and I instantly felt uncomfortable with this amount of attention. With my think hair loose, I try to hide myself as much as I can behind it.

"Sadie I'm sorry but I'm going to have to mark you as late." Mr. Travis tells me with an apologetic look, knowing of my liking towards a perfect attendance. But now I really don't care. I just shrug, and walk over to my usual seat near Bailey, Violet and Ella (this year we managed to stay all together in the same homeroom), which thankfully was free.

"Good morning." I say in a low tone to my friends, whom were looking at me with looks of pure sympathy. Though I didn't feel it was a good morning at all.

"Sadie, you're back!" Bailey celebrates, her tone cheery and her expression carefree. "Sooo... how's Shawn?"

I flinch at the sound of his name, and I simply stare at her in disbelief, just like Violet and Ella were doing. Was she really teasing me about the break up?

Her eyebrows mush together in confusion at our reaction, not understanding. "Um, did I say something I shouldn't?"

"Yes Bailey." Violet says with a sigh, in a careful, warning tone, trying to tell her just by eye contact for her not to be mention him. But Bailey was Bailey. And she didn't catch on to things very quickly.

"Was it because I mentioned Shawn? What's wrong with-"

"Just don't speak. Check your phone." Ella stops her before she mentions him a third time, and immediately whips out her phone. Then she types and, seconds later, Bailey is reading a text. Her eyes go wide with shock, and in a second, so was she looking at me apologetically.

"Girls, I'm fine." I lie, trying to convince myself of that too. But it doesn't work, as all of them continue to look at me apologetically, ignoring my comment completely. We are finally dismissed to our first period, and having lessons near each other, I drag Violet with me to my lockers so I can get my things. We remain silent as I get my notebooks, and feel her eyes glued to my arms. What's wrong with them?

I turn to her and notice the continous apologetic look as she looks at my torso, and confused, I follow her gaze and look down at myself.

My heart skips as I realize what's wrong, and I immediately lay my notebooks aside so I can take my jacket off: The jacket that was made of black leather and was a bit too big on me, though not as big like it once had been when he had given it to me back in New York.

I throw the jacket into my locker before I close it shut, and remembering that I have Physics now, Violet asks, "You want my hoodie? I have this extra one in my backpack if you want it."

I smile, feeling grateful for my friend. "Yes, thank you. I would have frozen to death." I say.

"Oh, I know, I remember how cold it can get in that lab."

The day continued slowly, me not paying attention in any class at all. I was now in my English class, when Mrs. Meyers asks for the homework.

With what happened, I didn't even care of doing it, and as I told her that I didn't, she didn't complain. When the ocasion of not giving in homework is rare for a student, they let it pass. But I couldn't help but feel horrible, like I was disappointing her and the rest of my teachers. I worked so hard to make my parents and teachers proud, so whenever I did the opposite, I felt awful.