Chapter 5 - Part 2: "Now I See"

January 2002

Stirling had called Isaac earlier that morning to ask for a conference call with him, Taylor, Zac and Jeff Fenster, the head of Island def Jam. Michelle and Taylor had left the apartment by the time Zac, Kate, and Natalie returned from brunch. Isaac had woken up, and all four were sitting in the living room, waiting for Stirling to call. Kate and Zac were snuggled on the big chair together, her sitting on his lap, while Zac was braiding her hair. Natalie sat by herself on the couch. Isaac stood, staring out the window.

"Stirling must have something important to say to call us on a Saturday," Isaac was saying, pacing nervously. "What do you think it's about?"

Zac shrugged. Kate whispered something in his ear and he giggled.

"Maybe he wants to apologize for being a dick?" Zac quipped.

Isaac rolled his eyes.

"I highly doubt that."

"Well, regardless, Taylor better get back soon before he calls." Zac said.

Isaac called Taylor earlier and told him about the conference call. Taylor had said he'd head home right away.

Isaac's phone started to ring. He looked at it and nodded.

"It's Stirling."

He answered.

"Hey Stirling. Here, let me put you on speaker," he said, walking over and placing the phone on the coffee table.

"Hey guys," Stirling's voice came through the speaker. "How are we today?"

Zac didn't say anything, just rolled his eyes, mimicking his greeting. Kate giggled again. Isaac shushed her.

"We're fine, Stirling. But Taylor isn't here yet." Isaac replied. "Do you want us to call you back when he gets here?"

"That's okay, we can start without him. Here, let me get Jeff on the line. Hold on a sec."

There was a beep, then a pause. Then another beep.

"Okay, we're all on." Stirling said.

He wasted no time getting to the point.

"Yesterday was a disaster, guys. I don't know how to put this...we're suspending recording of the album for the time being until we can come to an agreement."

Zac looked at Kate, shocked. Natalie's eyes were wide. She knew what this meant.

"What?" Isaac said after a pause. "What does that mean?"

"It means as of now, we are suspending recording of Underneath until further notice."

"You can't do that." Zac said, his shock turning to anger. "We have a contract!"

At that, Jeff joined the conversation.

"Zac, I understand why you're upset, but I wasn't aware of how bad it had gotten with the recording. From what I'm getting from Stirling, you've only recorded two songs as of now? How is that possible? You've used over 70 hours of recording time."

Zac was silent. Jeff was right. He looked at Isaac for guidance. Isaac just sighed and sat down heavily on the couch.

"That is correct," Isaac said, "but it's not our fault. We have provided more than enough material, but you have rejected all of it but a few songs. We're up against a wall here, Jeff."

Jeff responded. "I get your frustration, Isaac. But we're running a business here. We need to re-negotiate the contract. This isn't working. I'm sorry, but we need to suspend recording until we can come to an agreement as to what songs to include on the album."