Chapter 15 - Part 1: "Where Are You Now?"

I've been all over the world
I've seen a million different places
But through the crowds and all the faces
I'm still out there looking for you

     -"Where Are You Now?" (Michelle Branch)

---

June 21st 2003

Michelle couldn't believe that the day was finally here, the day her album was being released. It had been a crazy ride. Michelle had spent the last eight months completely consumed by the album. It had been a labor of love, and she couldn't wait to share it with her fans, who she knew were eager for new work from her.

Hotel Paper was her most personal album yet. Every single song on it. It was almost too personal - releasing it for the world to listen to felt to her, in a way, like opening her heart up for people to see into. Michelle knew that was part of being a musician, opening yourself up to scrutiny, but it was still hard. Every song on the album meant so much to her.

If anyone had asked her if the album was about Taylor, she'd have denied it, but she knew the truth that is was. Despite what he had put her through, Michelle was grateful to Taylor in a way, because if he hadn't broken her heart, she never could have written Hotel Paper.

Michelle's label had organized a record release party for her at the Sam Goody store in downtown Los Angeles that evening. She was planning to play four of new songs off her album, do a CD signing, followed by an after party with friends and select fans.

Michelle sat in the back room of the record store, idly strumming her guitar, enjoying the calm before the storm. She was nervous. She'd played in front of people a thousand times, of course, but something felt different this time. This album was so personal...performing songs from it for the first time made her nervous.

Her manager poked her head in the doorway.

"You're on in 5, Ms. Branch,"

Michelle took a deep breath, then stood up and slung her guitar around her shoulder. She stood in front of the long full-length mirror. She studied herself. She was pleased with her outfit for that evening. She'd chosen a pair of pleather pants, a black halter top, and cowboy boots. Her hair, which had gotten very long, was gathered in a high ponytail, secured with a scarf. She wore little jewelry, only a silver choker and silver ring on her left pinky finger. She thought she looked fierce, adult and in control of her destiny - which was exactly how she wanted to portray herself. She smiled at her reflection, pleased.

Michelle felt she'd matured a great deal in the last year, and that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone since she'd been through so much. The last year had aged her, no doubt, but what she had been through had also given her a new outlook on life. She knew what she wanted more clearly now, and she had learned from her mistakes. She was focused and felt musically challenged. She was ready for the next chapter of her life, wherever it took her.