Chapter 1 - Part 2: "Everything"

It seems like
Everywhere everyone's in love
So, where are you?
And I remember
You couldn't get enough
Said you felt it too
So didn't you

-"Everything" (M2M)

---

August 22, 2000

Atlanta, Georgia

Now a junior in high school, Kate had recently gotten involved in modeling, mostly junior's fashion spreads for Sears and JCPenney. She didn't want to make a career out of it, but she did enjoy it and loved the perks of getting free clothes. When Kate had signed up to model in the fashion show for Macy's, she had no idea it was before a Hanson concert. Though Kate had grown out of her Hanson "phase", she still considered herself a fan and when she found out this fact, she admitted she was excited to see the guys again, and yes, to maybe have the opportunity to talk to Zac, who she still thought was really attractive. She knew part of being in the show meant she could get backstage, and she planned to use that perk to her advantage. And of course, she wanted Natalie to come with her.

It was a beautiful Saturday in Atlanta, clear skies, a balmy 90 degrees. Natalie lay sprawled out on Kate's bed in front of the air conditioner, too hot to move. Kate was busily applying makeup and doing her hair in preparation for the shoot. After putting the finishing touches on her hair, Kate said

"Nat! Come, on! We're running late already."

Natalie groaned as she slowly stood up and gathered her long hair into a ponytail. "Why does this sound so familiar? Oh, I know why."

"Maybe because last time we saw Hanson you were as reluctant to go as you are now?" Kate chirped innocently, her large brown eyes regarding her friend. "However, I seem to remember you enjoying yourself."

Natalie rolled her eyes. "I can't believe you're dragging me to one of their shows again." Natalie grumbled as she pulled on her sneakers.

"It's not like we're actually going to the concert, Nat. The fashion show just happens to be before it. Might as well stay for it. Besides, just admit you want to see them again. They're even bigger hotties now than they were then."

Natalie rolled her eyes. She finished tying her sneakers and stood up. She gave her friend a look. "I don't really care." She said honestly. "It's you who wants to see them again. Zac, to be specific, I'm sure."

Kate studied herself in the mirror. "So maybe I do. Guilty as charged."

Natalie hesitated for a moment, but decided to say it anyway.

"It's been two years, Kate. I doubt he'll recognize you if he sees you again."

Kate shrugged. "Zac? Maybe he will, maybe he won't."

Natalie just shook her head and chuckled. Kate had an agenda, for sure. Natalie just wasn't sure what it was yet.

---

Later That Evening

The Tabernacle

Natalie sat in the front row of the fashion show, watching her friend model Macy's newest junior's fashions. Kate looked great as usual, and all the clothing seemed made for her. Kate had been told she would get to keep all the clothes she modeled that afternoon. Natalie was jealous, to be sure. As usual, in her jeans, sneakers and t-shirt, she looked ordinary next to Kate. Not that Natalie wasn't pretty - she was and knew it, but it was a different kind of pretty than Kate.

The runway was set up right in front of the stage, in the area where the orchestra pit would be if there was one. Apparently, after the fashion show, the platform would be taken away, and the floor would then open for general admission ticket holders.