Chapter 3: "Crazy Beautiful"

Listen, all I need is you
Won't you tell me what to do?
'Cause you drive me crazy
Baby, is it pulling on your heart?
Is it tearing you apart?

-"Crazy Beautiful" (Hanson)

---

November 2001

Michelle's apartment in West Hollywood

It was a fairly warm November day in Los Angeles, which isn't unheard of considering it never gets too cold in Southern California. This was a bonus for Michelle considering she was from Arizona, a state that overall has fairly warm weather. Michelle missed her home state, but despite having just moved in, Michelle was already getting used to the Southern California lifestyle.

On the rare days that she wasn't busy writing and recording in the studio, she was out surfing, or shopping. She had grown to love the "City of Angels". One of the main reasons she loved L.A. was because it's the place where she met Hanson over one year ago, which led to her opening up for them on their This Time Around tour. Which then led to her being discovered and signed by Maverick and then later on led to her doing her own tour.

Michelle would always be grateful to Taylor and his brothers for giving her the opportunity they gave her. She had such fun with them during the tour, especially with Taylor. He was unlike any guy she had ever met before. From the moment she met him, she felt an instant connection to him, it was like he could see her, but the real her and not this somewhat awkward and tomboyish girl most people see while taking a first glance at her. The fact Taylor had been able to see her beyond those perceptions was both exciting and daunting to Michelle, because to her, she couldn't understand what a heartthrob like Taylor could see in a plain and ordinary girl like her. A huge part of her, however, felt so excited that she, out millions of girls, was the one who had his complete attention right now, and she planned to enjoy every moment of it.

Lost in her thoughts, Michelle didn't hear her phone ringing until she heard a familiar voice leaving a message on her answering machine.

"Hey Michelle, it's Taylor......."

At the sound of hearing Taylor's voice, Michelle quickly ran to the counter where her phone was and picked it up.

"Hello? Taylor?"

"Hey you. Look, I just wanted to call you to see how your day is going so far?"

"It's going good so far, what about you? How is your day going so far?" Michelle replied.

"Well, it's going okay as expected. We're here in Def Jam's studio working some of the new material."

"YOU GUYS ARE HERE in L.A.!? YAY!"

"We are. We are still trying to find an apartment, but I am sure we will soon," he said.

"That song you recorded for me was so good. I hope you guys put it on your upcoming album, trust me when I say this, your fans will love that song, because they, along with your critics, will see a new side to you guys. One that they have never seen before. I think they'll love you guys even more than they do now." 

"I wish our label would share your enthusiasm....." Taylor sighed.

Sensing the change in the tone in his voice, Michelle knew that something was bothering Taylor. She tried to fish out a response from him.

"What do you mean? Is the label giving you guys a hard time or something?....."

"Somewhat..."

Wanting to get more out of him, Michelle continued to hammer Taylor on.