Chapter 11 - Part 3: "Second Chances"

Continued from the previous chapter...

"What's going on?" Taylor asked breathlessly. "I came as fast as I could. Is everyone okay? Why is everyone here?"

Taylor took a look around. He saw Natalie sitting on the couch, and she looked fine. Kate sat beside her. Zac was sitting on the opposite couch, and Walker on the big chair. Everyone seemed fine. No one said anything. They all just sat there staring at him.

Taylor began to feel uneasy. It looked suspiciously like an intervention, and Taylor didn't like it one bit.

"What is going on?" he asked.

"Sit down, son." Walker said quietly. "We have some important news to share with you."

Taylor felt his stomach drop. There was something in Walker's voice that scared Taylor. His father didn't use that tone unless it was really serious.

"Okaaay..." Taylor said, walking over slowly and sitting down on the couch next to Zac. Zac wouldn't look him in the eye. Taylor looked at Natalie but she wouldn't look him in the eye either. Kate glared at him, for what reason he had no idea.

Walker cleared his throat. "Son, there's no point in delaying this. I have some news that may come as a shock to you..." he trailed off, like he was unsure how to say what he had to.

"Well, Dad? What is it?" Taylor said, growing more stressed with every passing moment.

"Son...Firstly, I just want you to know that I'm not mad, it just came as quite a shock..."

"What is it?" Taylor asked again, confused. "What are you talking about, Dad? Why would you be mad?"

Walker knew what he was about to tell Taylor would devastate him, and completely take him by surprise. He felt bad for his son. Though he believed his son would need to take responsibility for what he had done, he still felt bad, because he knew how quickly his son's life was about to change.

Kate looked between Zac and Walker, clearly irritated.

"Seriously?" she said. She looked at Taylor, who looked completely and utterly confused.

Kate decided to just take matters into her own hands. Taylor deserved to know, and clearly no one else had the heart to tell him.

Kate turned towards Taylor.

"Taylor, Natalie is pregnant. It's yours."

Taylor stared at Kate for a moment, then burst out laughing.

"That's funny," Taylor said once he'd stopped laughing, "yeah right. Good one."

But he quickly saw that no one was laughing. His smile faded.

He looked at Zac, alarmed. "She's kidding, right?"

Zac shook his head sadly.

"No, she's not. I'm sorry, Tay."

"Oh my God," Taylor said, the gravity of what he had just been told setting in. He leaned over and put his head in his hands. His hangover wasn't making anything any easier. He felt like he could easily throw up.

"No, no, no..." he muttered, more to himself than to anyone else.

"I'm sorry," Natalie mumbled.

Taylor looked up at her, startled.

"You're sorry?" He said incredulously. "Really?"

Natalie looked down at her hands, embarrassed. Kate jumped to her defense.

"Don't be an asshole, Taylor. It takes two. You got her pregnant. It's not her fault. You know,"

But Taylor wasn't listening anymore. Kate's voice fell away and he felt a buzzing noise in his ears. He figured maybe he was in some sort of shock. He felt a heavy weight on his chest, making it hard to breathe. All he could think of was Michelle, and how disappointed and hurt she would be when she found out.