Chapter 6: "California"

Pedal to the floor
Thinkin' of the roar
Gotta get us to the show
California here we come

-"California" (Phantom Planet)

--

Sunday night

Sunday night

"He's sick. I think he drank too much. I think he has alcohol poisoning."

Zac looked worried.

"What?" Taylor asked, getting off the bed. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, just uh, come look, okay? Kate said he does. I think we need to call 911."

"Oh my God." Michelle said.

Taylor and Michelle rushed to get dressed as Zac waited in the doorway.

"He's passed out on the couch," Zac said as the three rushed into the living room. Kate was sitting next to him, trying to get him to drink a glass of water, but Isaac was totally passed out. There were two guys Taylor didn't recognize standing over him, clearly concerned. One shook his shoulder and asked repeatedly if he was okay. After a moment, they shrugged and walked away to rejoin the party, saying something about letting him "sleep it off."

Kate shook her head, disgusted at Isaac's friends lack of concern over his welfare.

"I know what to do," Kate told Taylor, sitting up. "I've seen this happen to friends."

Michelle rushed over to Isaac, sitting on the opposite side of him, and shook his shoulder gently.

"Ike?" she said gently. "Wake up."

"I've tried," Kate sighed, putting the untouched glass of water on the coffee table. "He's totally passed out."

Isaac stirred and mumbled something, slowly comprehending what was going on.

"Who is that? Michelle?" he slurred, obviously heavily intoxicated. He then passed back out.

"IKE!" Michelle said more loudly, "I need you to stay awake, buddy."

"How long has he been passed out like this?" Taylor demanded. Zac shrugged. Kate, obviously worried about Ike, glanced worriedly between Zac and Taylor.

"Not long, I don't think..." Zac said, "Kate and I were in the kitchen and I came out and he was passed out. Kate told me he may have alcohol poisoning."

"Shit." Taylor swore, trying to decide what they should do. He worried that they would get in trouble taking Isaac to the hospital because they were underage, and Zac was obviously drunk.

"Taylor, he has alcohol poisoning." Kate said, as if reading his mind. "Better safe than sorry. I think we should take him to the hospital.

Taylor could see Ike was shivering. It wasn't cold in the room.

"Should we just make him throw up?" Zac asked.

"No, that's not a good idea," Kate said, sure she knew what she was talking about. "I remember this from school. They made us take a class on Alcohol and Drugs. You're not supposed to make them throw up because they could choke in their own vomit."