Chapter 16

We were dancing for a little while before the guy finally said something.

“So..... What brings you to this gala dinner?” he said to me while we were still slow dancing.

I had to think quickly, as I didn’t want to give away that I’m the Granddaughter of the Queen and King of England.

“My parents, well more my dad does work for the King and Queen” I said hoping to sound convincing.

It was true dad did help Grandmother and Grandfather with the business, so I wasn’t exactly lying I was only telling him half of the reason.

“That’s pretty cool, do you know the Queen and King?” he asked looking at me now.

Oh crap what am I going to say now! I thought to myself, I couldn’t tell a stranger that I’m the Granddaughter of them that would just give me away. I must have been day dreaming because the guy slightly coughed to get my attention again.

“Oh sorry, no I don’t know the King and Queen, I have seen them from a distance but haven’t personally met them” I said trying to sound convincing and cover up that I’m lying, something that I hate doing.

“That’s a shame, they are lovely people” he said to me smiling.

You have no idea I thought mentally.

“What brought you here” I said to him casually.

“Well I go to the local university and well I got an award in honour of the King because he liked my woodwork that I did, so I managed to get an invite to this gala dinner for praise of my work” he simply said.

Ok so this guy is older than me, if he goes to university, but what got me was why was he dancing with me?

The song ended and the guy guided me to an empty bar table where we sat down and continued to talk.

“How old are you exactly?” I asked the guy sitting opposite me.

“I’m eighteen, I finished school last year and went straight to university after that, how old are you?” he asked me back.

“Well I’m seventeen I will be eighteen in a couple of months and going in to year 12, what are you studying at university?” I asked the guy.

“I seriously didn’t think you looked like you were seventeen, I’m studying architecture and I like building so I decided to do that course” the guy simply said.

“That’s pretty impressive, my uncle is CEO of a building company back home” I said.

“Ah I thought I sensed an accent, Australian?” he asked.

“Yeah I’m Australian, but England is like my second home” I said.

“I’m Patrick by the way, why is England like a second home to you?” Patrick asked me.

“I’m Reagan, well since my dad does work for the King and Queen we come for holidays and besides my dad was born in England” I said hoping he wouldn’t ask any more questions about dad’s job.

“That’s a pretty name, and by the way you look really nice too” Patrick said to me smiling.

“Thank you, you look alright too I guess” I said back smiling.

Patrick was a bit taller than me and had short blonde hair that was styled in a formal comb over, he wore a suite like everyone else but with a emerald green tie, he was pretty attractive but wasn’t my type of guy.

We continued to talk before Macaulay decided to come and ruin the moment.

“Hey Reagan, mum and dad want us for ‘something important’, was dads words” he stated eyeing up Patrick in the process.