Bucky Barnes ✰ Promise (Rewritten, Part 2)

A/N: *Steve Rogers voice* I could stare at this gif all day.

Your life wasn't going to be the same without Bucky around. James Buchanan Barnes may have been an arrogant, crazy piece of work, but he was wonderful, and you were always proud to call him your best friend.

After Bucky left, everything just seemed to get worse.

For starters, the U.S. army had decided to accept the illness-prone asthmatic known as Steven Grant Rogers a few weeks ago, and now little Steve was out in the big, bad world. Both of the people you had grown up with were gone, and there was no promise of them both making it back in one piece, or at all.

However, you weren't expecting what happened next.

"Open up, (Y/N)!" A familiar voice boomed from your front door before aggressively knocking.

"Coming!" You called, rushing to see who was outside. When you opened the door, you almost fell backwards when you saw who it was.

"S-Steve?" You questioned, not sure if you were seeing things properly, "Um, I thought you were smaller."

Without hesitation, Steve wrapped his now muscular arms around you, pulling you in close, "You need to come with me."

"What?"

"I'm going back to Italy tomorrow, and I need you to come with me."

"Wait, since when were you in Italy? Right now I've got way too many," you paused and gestured at Steve's body, "Questions."

"You really must be living under a rock," Steve chuckled, "You're looking at Captain America."

"In case you forgot, I was wallowing in self pity for the last few weeks ever since you and Bucky left," you replied, half-jokingly. There they were again— Bucky's butterflies.

"Well, there won't be anymore of that. I'm going back to Bucky's division, that's why I want you to come with me," Steve smiled, his eyes still the same as they had always been.

Your cheeks tinted crimson at the mention of Bucky, "Are you sure I'm allowed to be there?"

"I don't really care. I know you need to be there, that's all that matters."

"You really are the best friend I could ever ask for," you smiled, embracing your friend in a hug.

"Yeah, because you and Buck are going to be more than just friends after we get to Italy," Steve smirked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

"You're such a punk, Rogers," you rolled your eyes, a smile on your face, "Sorry, I mean, Captain America. Love the outfit," you joked.