The Pull of a Stranger

Samantha

"Hey, Sam are you up yet?" Jessie called from the kitchen.

"Ya, I am up. What are you doing here so early?"

"I wanted to help you pack. I'm gonna miss you so much Hun."

"I know Jessie you are like the sister I never had. You can always come with me."

"Yaass!! The two musketeers. The two amigos."

"Girl shut up." Sam laughed.

Sam was leaving for Colorado that coming weekend. She was both scared and excited.

"A fresh start where no one knew me or could feel pity for me." She thought.

It was kind of sad that Sam could pack her whole life into the back of her beat up Mustang and still have space to fit a whole person.

Sam had never left New York before so driving cross country to Colorado was going to be an adventure. She would stop at nights at the different checkpoints she mapped out for herself.

Early Saturday morning Sam hugged Jessie goodbye and promised to call as soon as she got to her first checkpoint. With tears in her eyes and a heavy heart she turned the keys in her ignition and her car roared to life.

After driving 14 hours with a couple breaks in between Sam stops to spend the night at a bed a breakfast in Indianapolis.

"Oh God I need sleep!" She exclaimed as she collapses on the bed and drifts into a deep slumber.

"My sweet mate come to me. I have been waiting."

Sam whirls around and sees no one. Again she is in this familiar forest with no way out.

"How did I get here?"

"By the great moon Goddess, I need you my sweet sweet mate. Accept me. Come to me let me claim you so no others can."

Sam looks in the direction of the voice and sees him. The one who haunts her dreams every night. Making it impossible for her to think of any other man.

He stalks closer to her.

"Take my hand let's go home my love. Just accept me and you will be the happiest woman on the face of this world."

Sam turns and bolts as his once blue eyes flicker to gold.

"Mine!" He roars and quickly tackles her to the ground.

Sam wakes up covered in sweat. Realizing once more she has woken up from another dream.

Another 14 long hours pass as Sam now enters the county of Gunnison. Driving down a narrow road surrounded by trees Sam can't help but feel like she is being watched. She shakes off the feeling and continues driving.

Sam enters the town around noon on Monday morning. The place had its own little charm to it. Though not a wildly populated place she could get used to shopping at the corner store here or buying bread from the bakery that she just passed.

After spending half an hour looking for Escalante drive which is the address of her grandmother's house Sam decides to stop at the local cafe to ask for directions.

The place seriously looked like it never left the eighties with all the told looking stools and tables.

Sam walks in and every eye in the place is on her. Talk about making an entrance she thought.

"Hi there, I'm new around here and I need directions to 1543 Escalante Drive," Sam asked with a friendly smile to the cashier.

The cashier was a lovely blonde with amazing green eyes. The seemed to vibrant to be real.

"Umm sure sweety!" The cashier replies as she directed Sam down the main road to Escalante Dr.

"Thank you so much! I hope to see you again" Sam said as she left the cafe.

"I know we will be seeing each other very soon!!" The cashier mumbled under her breath.

As Sam pulled up to this huge house surrounded by trees and nature she could not believe that her grandmother left this place for a condo in new York.

Sam pushed her key into the lock but before she could unlock the door if was pulled open.

"Hello, Madame!. So lovely to meet you again." The stranger said to Sam.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"Sorry for the surprise introduction I thought your grandmother had told you about us. My name is Jefferson I have been the keeper of the house since your grandmother left with you 22 years ago." He says.

"What? I'm sorry sir you have the wrong Sam. I was born in new York even says so on my birth certificate."

"Come in and settle down dear. I will fill you in I promise, all of this will make more sense when I am done."

Sam follows Jefferson inside the house.