Chapter 52

"Why didn't you just tell me?" Justin's voice said eventually.

"I don't know."

"I thought we were supposed to share our problems?" He said. "I thought that's how we'd work Ri, but i guess not.. Hard things happen and we're supposed to figure them out together. As a pair. But for some reason you don't seem to like that."

Guilt rocked through my body. I tugged on the roots of my hair.

"Im sorry." I whispered, i felt a tear roll down my cheek. "I- i just thought i was doing the best thing for us."

"Are you sure about that? Because you couldn't have kept this a secret forever Ri. I was always going to find out eventually."

"I know."

I heard him sigh, then there was silence for a few seconds.

"Got dammit Ri. Why do you always push me away when you have problems? Do you not understand that i am in love with you and i care about every single aspect of your life? Do you not get that?! No matter how big or small the thing you are going through is, no matter what time of the day, i want you to talk to me. Tell me whats going on and ill help you. Why do you cut me off?!"

I looked down at my thighs and shook my head. He cared so much for me but i'd hurt him. He just wanted to be there for me, be a huge part of my life. My other half.

"I just felt like it was my fault and dealing with it myself was what i thought was best. I was scared to tell you. I bottled it up so i could protect you. And everyone else.."

"What?"

"Well, i thought that if you found out that i might be pregnant, you'd start getting attached to the idea. You would become so hung up on being a dad that you'd actually get excited and if i ended up not being pregnant, you'd be dissappointed. Which is weird because we are super young and not ready for a baby at this age."

Justin was silent,

"And if i indeed was pregnant.. Well i was scared that you'd be willing to give everything up for us.. and be a proper dad."

I listened to his slow, heavy breathing. He exhaled. "What's so bad about that Ri?"

"Because it would freaking kill me to watch you throw away your dreams and everything you've worked for. Music is your passion, your drive. It's the thing you love most in the whole world and i couldn't drag you away from that." I said.

"Ri of course i would give up everything for you. You are my world and yes we have our ups and downs; we go through shit that other teenagers don't, but that's just our lives. There's nothing, not even music, that i love more than i love you." He said, his voice cracking as he spoke. "And anyway what about you? You love music too. Would you just give up your career and dreams?"

I wiped at my cheek with the sleeve of my hoodie. "Yeah, i guess i'd have no choice. It's different."

"It's not though, is it? Just because you're the girl doesn't mean you have to give up everything and because im the guy i don't? We're not in the 1800's anymore Ri.. Times of equality are here."

"I know but if this is my fault, i should have to deal with the consequences."

"What do you mean your fault?" He said, raising his voice to a slight shout. "Im pretty sure it takes two for this sort of thing to happen."

"It does, yeah. But it was my responsibility to make sure i was protected but i was dumb and didn't. If i had been prepared, we wouldn't even be in this mess right now."