Chapter 31 - Complicated

"Get the fuck away from her."

Jordan and I both look at Zeke, standing there with his fists clenched, and a death glare focussed on Jordan.

"Look who decided to show up," Jordan smirks but doesn't move.

"I said get away from her," Zeke steps towards us and pushes Jordan back.

Jordan stumbles backwards and his smirk drops. He takes a step towards him, ready to throw a punch but before he can, Zeke grabs him by the collar and slams him against the wall.

"You better stay the fuck away from her. I can still go to the cops, you know."

What?

Jordan pushes Zeke back with ease. "I don't think you should be sayin' shit like that, 'cause I can still go along with what I said."

"Don't even think about it."

"Then keep your mouth shut, and don't fuck with me." Jordan takes one more look at me and walks away, hitting Zeke with his shoulder on the way past.

Zeke turns around slowly and looks down my body, making me feel hot. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I don't need you to stick up for me."

"Would you have rather I didn't come out here and just let him-" he cuts himself short and presses his lips together.

"I could have handled it," I roll my eyes. I totally could have fought him off.

"You could at least say thank you."

"Thank you? You've been an asshole these past few weeks for no reason, so don't start acting like my fucking protector now."

He raises his eyebrows. "Are you legitimately mad at me?"

What the frickety frack?

"Of course I'm mad at you, you asshole," I raise my voice and start walking back to the gym hall.

"Why?" He catches up and walks beside me.

"Why are you even talking to me? Is it because we're alone and I won't ruin your rep?"

He laughs. "You did not just fucking say that. You think I care about my reputation? That wasn't the reason I wasn't talking to you."

"So what was the reason?" I stop at the door of the gym hall before going in.

He looks around as he thinks of an excuse. "I just thought it'd be better for us."

I can't even be bothered with this. It's so weird that we're even talking right now. I'm annoyed that he's here acting like I have no reason to be mad at him, as if i'll love him when he decided he wants to talk to me, and be fine when he acts like I don't exist.

"Well then let's just continue to pretend not to know each other, okay?"

He furrows his eyebrows and watches me with a confused expression. I know he's confused about why I said that, but he's also confused with himself. I can tell he's trying to work out what's going on in his own mind, because he's always so oblivious to his own thoughts and feelings.

"I-" He runs a hand through his hair. "I don't want to do that anymore."

"Why? What's changed?"

"I have missed you," he says awkwardly as he looks around and puts his hands in his gym shorts' pockets.

It feels good to hear him say that – I've missed him like hell. But I'm not gonna let a guy treat me like that. I'm not like his other girls he can pick up then drop whenever he feels like it.