Chapter 35- Her Next Decision

"So how did your mom react to finding out you were lying?"

Amanda untwists the cap off her lip gloss and smears it heavily onto her lips as she impatiently waits for a response.

Nicole positions herself in the front of her car in a way to be able to face Kevin and Amanda, who both had jumped in anxiously a head of time waiting to hear what had happened the night before. They both already knew that she had spent the night at Benedict's, and the last thing she texted them was that her mom had caught on.

"So..." Nicole says, dragging out the word long enough to be able to prepare them for what was to follow.

"She knows."

Kevin and Amanda both exchange glances with each other and look back to Nicole with much attentiveness, waiting for her to add more detail to this new information.

Nicole takes a deep breath and continues.

"I drove as fast as I could from Benedict's house hoping to get home before she even had the chance to leave to come looking for me."

They both continue to listen.

"Once I arrived, I realized that it was too late. She had already left."

Nicole pulls out her phone and opens her messages. She then proceeds to hold the phone up for both of them to read.

"I immediately got these texts from Ben. She had barged into his lot, which she apparently got the address from Martin awhile ago-" she rolls her eyes. "-and she harshly questioned him about me. She ran around his house in search of me until she finally found something that proved her intuitions were right." She shakes her head slowly, disappointed in herself.

"What did she find??" Kevin and Amanda shout in unison.

"My purse, sitting right there on his table."

They all slump down into their seats and release a heavy sigh. After a few moments of silence, Amanda raises her voice.

"So, what happens now?" she asks with a concerned expression.

Nicole bites her lip in desperation. "My mom no longer wants anything to do with me. She's done being my mother. I'm too much of a disappointment."

"She can't just stop being your mother!" Amanda yells angrily. "Besides, she doesn't even know that you went there to help him get through a rough patch in his life. You were helping someone who needed help!"

Nicole shrugs her shoulders. "It doesn't matter," she says in a soft helpless tone. "I'm turning eighteen this weekend. I've already made up my mind as to what I'm going to do."

Amanda stares at her absentmindedly. "...And what's that?" she asks.

A subtle grin appears at the corners of Nicole's mouth as she thinks about the future with Ben. She knows her mother forbids their relationship and would practically disown her for going against her. But she doesn't care. She loves Benedict more than anything else in this world. Once she turns eighteen, she will officially be an adult. She's going to do what she knows has to be done.

"Benedict is taking me on a vacation," she says. "He won't tell me where, but it doesn't matter to me all that much because I will be with him. And, once we get back, I won't be coming back home."

Amanda gasps and covers her mouth with the palm of her hand. "What do you mean?" she shouts, feeling surprised.

Nicole grabs her bag from down below her feet and throws it over her shoulder and places her hand on the door handle, preparing herself to jump out. She pauses and stares at both of her friends that were staring at her with blank stares. "I mean, I'm going to live with Benedict."