Chapter 12- How to be a Heartbreaker

"I don't want to stop kissing you," Nicole says as she brushes her fingers through Mr. Cumberbatch's curly brown strands of hair.

He locks his eyes with hers and let's out a sigh. "I know."

He pulls himself away from the latch she has on him and turns to face the other way. "We can't do this though. It's too dangerous." Nicole puts her hand on his shoulder.

"We can't just walk away from all this now." She moves to stand in front of him to face eye to eye. "It's too late. We know the feelings we have for each other are too strong."

He puts his right hand on her left cheek and rests his lips on her forehead. With the gentlest pressure, he kisses her skin.

"I know..." he says again.

She can tell by the sound of his voice that he was contemplating their entire situation. It's hard to recognize whether he's being apprehensive about it or not. 

"I mean..." she murmurs. "We've kissed."

He pushes pieces of Nicole's hair away from her eyes from where the wind had blown it out of place. His eyes go narrow and look very sympathetic.

"And that was a mistake."

With hearing these words come out of his mouth, Nicole slowly falls back upon the brick wall behind her for support. Her heart feels like it had just been ripped out of her chest and torn apart into millions of tiny fragile pieces and scattered all over the sidewalk where they were standing. She feels like her mind is shutting down, and her body is being incapable of controlling her emotions. Tears start streaming down her cheeks. She opens her mouth, but words do not escape.

A single tear falls from Mr. Cumberbatch's eye, but he's quick to hide it to not let Nicole see how much this is hurting him on the inside.

"I think it'd be best if I go. Take care of yourself Nicole." He nods in her direction, and just like that, he disappears around the back corner of the café.

Nicole stands there for moments in disbelief. Does he really think liking me was a mistake?

 Does he really think liking me was a mistake?

"Nicole? Nicole Miller is that you?"

Nicole nonchalantly tries to wipe away any visible tears still left on her cheeks. She spins around to find Kevin standing a few feet away holding the café door open.

She attempts to put on a believable smile. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I was just sent by my demanding mother to go on an arduous journey to the café to pick up a batch of the 'Finest baked croissants in all of Rockchester'," He says mockingly.

Nicole can't help but be cheered up by the comical aspect in Kevin's voice.

"Do you want me to buy you a croissant?" he asks endearingly.

Nicole shakes her head no, but he insists again.

"It's really no bother. And... I really couldn't help but notice you seem a bit sad. It's none of my business, so I won't bother you with the questions. I thought that maybe you could use a friend. "

That's so thoughtful of him, she thinks. I am hungry. I guess it couldn't hurt.

"Actually, a croissant sounds quite nice at the moment."  She smiles and joins him inside.

Nicole must've been too distracted on the thought of seeing Mr. Cumberbatch earlier that she hadn't noticed how quaint the café really was. It was designed to be a replica of a famous café in Paris called Café des 2 Moulins. It had a vintage look to it, almost like it had been taken straight out of an old photograph. Smells of freshly baked bread filled the air along with scents of flowers. Roses perhaps.

While examining the building's interior, she happens to look up at Kevin who towers above her. She notices he looks different, but can't determine what it is. It isn't a bad different, in fact it was a good different. He seems more attractive than before, if that is possible. He was already good looking; shaggy blonde hair, piercing blue eyes, over defined muscle tone. But, at this moment, there's a new factor, and it bothers her that she can't put a finger on what it is.

"Thank you very much," he says as he takes the bag of croissants from the sales lady that's handing it to him.

He rummages through it checking every label on the wrapped food.

"Ahh, here you go." He hands Nicole her croissant and flashes a big teeth-y grin.

I don't think I've ever seen him fully smile before, she thinks.

"You know Kevin, you look different today. But, I can't figure out why."

He looks down at his feet with an embarrassed smile.

"Not in a bad way though! In a good way." She touches his arm apologetically and laughs.

"Oh, that's good," he says lightly chuckling along with her. He looks down at his watch. "I should probably get going now," he says. "My mom will be wondering how the hell it took so long to pick up a couple of croissants."

They exchange a couple of laughs before Nicole says goodbye and he turns to leave. As he carries the brown paper bag in both hands, he leans up against the glass door before pushing it open.

"Oh, Nicole!" He shouts from doorway. "I forgot to mention that you look beautiful in blue." He smiles shyly and exits the restaurant.

---------------------------------------

A/N: Hey, everyone! I made this chapter little shorter to equal out with the last one which was pretty long and I apologize for that. I have ideas of where to go with the next chapter or two already, but I am completely open to taking any ideas or suggestions from you. Just message me on here and I will reply! And please Vote/Comment/& Save- it helps immensely and lets others find my story, Thanks! xx

-BenedictCumbers