Chapter 26- The Next Step

Nicole wakes up the next morning feeling more exuberant than ever. She stretches her arms to her bedroom ceiling and let's out a huge yawn.

"Morning sweetheart," her mom says as she walks over with a warm plate of eggs and toast. She sets it down on the night stand next to the bed and takes a seat at the end by her feet.

"Good morning," Nicole replies smiling. "What's all this for?" She asks while taking a bite of the toast. She notices that her mother's face gleams with happiness, but her eyes show otherwise.

Her mom fidgets her fingers as her eyes dart to the plate of food lying in Nicole's lap. "It's just that I know you'll be turning 18 here soon, and who knows when the last time I will be able to bring you breakfast in bed will be."

Nicole smiles and wipes the crumbs off her chin with her arm. She leans in and wraps her free hand around her mom's shoulder, giving her an endearing embrace. "Even though I'll officially be an adult, you know I'm always going to be your little girl."

Her mom pats her on the back gently. "I know that. Now eat quick so you can get ready for school."

"Oh, mom wait," Nicole shouts before she walks out of the room.

"Yes?" she asks spinning around in place.

"I was wondering if you've seen my phone anywhere. I haven't been able to find it since last night." She glances down to her purse on the floor which would have been the last place she had seen it.

Her mom shifts her eyes to the ceiling, pondering on whether she knows its location or not. "No, I haven't seen it," she says. "I'll make sure to keep an eye out for it though."

"Thanks, mom," Nicole says with a slight smile.

Once she finishes her breakfast, she drags herself over to her dresser to pick out some clothes for the day. Since winter is approaching, she decides to throw on a light brown wool sweater, some comfortable leggings, brown boots, and a maroon chunky knit scarf. She usually hates wearing sweaters because of the way they rub on her skin, but this one she did not mind. It was cute and it accentuated her small figure to an appropriate amount.

After doing her hair and makeup, she goes to the kitchen and grabs a bottled water out of the fridge to take to school. As soon as she pulls one off of the bottom shelf she hears something smack on the counter behind her.

Nicole jumps and accidentally slams the fridge door shut. She turns around to find her mom leaning against a cabinet with her one hand placed on top of the phone. She had a devious look spread upon her face and her lips were pursed towards the corner of her mouth.

"I found your phone dear," she says in an unusually calm mannor.

"Oh, mom you startled me," Nicole says putting her hand up to her chest. She glances down towards the phone and starts to reach her hand out for it. "Where did you find-"

"Not so fast Nicole," her mom says cutting her off abruptly and sliding the phone closer to herself on the counter.

Nicole stands with her arms crossed looking confused. "Why can't I have my phone?"

Her mom stares directly at her without blinking. "You received a text message this morning."

Nicole tries to swallow but she can't seem to do so. Instead, she tenses up and remains silent.