Chapter 27- New Fear

"Are you still mad at me?"

Nicole places her lunch tray down on the table across from Amanda and Kevin and hopes to receive some sort of response. She pulls out a straw and places it into her chocolate milk while waiting anxiously.

Amanda rolls her eyes and sighs. "No, of course I'm not mad at you. You guys are dating. I shouldn't have reacted like that."

"That's such a relief!" Nicole exclaims. "I was so worried you'd still be mad."

Amanda shakes her head and returns to checking her text messages secretly under the table.

Kevin leans his body further across to Nicole on the other side and smirks. "So, I hear today's his last day."

Nicole blushes and stirs the school's burnt macaroni with her fork. "You're correct," she chuckles. "Today's the big day."

"Are you nervous?" He asks with interest.

Nicole shrugs her shoulders. "Not really. I just can't believe we're actually going through with it."

Kevin nods his head up and down as if he is agreeing with her statement. "You said you were planning on telling your mom, right?"

"We're hoping sometime tomorrow," she responds. "We can't keep our relationship hidden from her forever. It's better we tell her ourselves then she somehow find out from someone else, you know?"

"Yeah," he says. "Seems like the right thing to do."

The three of them finish the rest of their lunch in silence as the clock on the lunchroom wall slowly ticks away at every minute. Every new minute that passes creates more and more nervous energy for Nicole. She knows that as soon as the bell rings she is going to go straight to Benedict. She has to see him before the end of the day.

When the bell rings, Nicole throws her trash away and escapes from the crowd in the cafeteria and up the stairs to Benedict's classroom. She casually knocks on the door first before barging in.

Once she walks in, Benedict takes off his reading glasses and stands up out of his chair.

"Ben!" Nicole shouts running over to him. She cheerfully embraces him with open arms.

He kisses her lips passionately and swings her around with his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Today's the day," she says in between kisses.

He slowly brings her back down safely onto a desk in front of where they were standing and leans his body against it with his arms outstretched in front of her. A worry look fills the features of his face.

"What? What's wrong?" She asks with concern.

He remains still and unresponsive to her question. She puts her hand underneath his chin and raises his focus up to her.

"You're not questioning us, are you?" She asks.

He moves closer and places his hand on top of hers. "Of course not darling, it- it's just..."

"Just what??" She asks insistently.

"It's just that..." He pauses. "I'm extremely nervous."

Nicole rubs her hand on his shoulder and sighs. "Don't be. Just think that when this day is over, you will no longer be my teacher and I won't be your student."

He closes his eyes and runs his fingers through his hair. "I- I don't know about this Nicole." His fingers tremble down at his side. "I'm starting to think this is a really bad idea."

Nicole begins to feel annoyed with the repetitiveness of always having to deal with Benedict's indecisiveness and nervous behavior. She gets up off the desk and starts to pace back and forth. "You realize this may be our one chance to be together Ben. Is this even something you still want?"

He rubs the back of his neck with his hand. "I love you Nicole, I truly and honestly do." He goes over to her and grabs ahold her hand. "But, our age difference... I'm afraid of how people will respond to seeing us together."

Nicole groans and shakes her head. She can't believe the words that are coming from his mouth. "Age has never been a problem with us before," she says feeling a bit betrayed.

"I'm starting to think we are way out of our heads here." He swallows as his voice cracks. "Come on, Nicole, I mean you're not even 18 yet. We're not being realistic here."

Nicole pushes him away as tears fill her eyes. "I think the only one being unrealistic here is you." Her anger quickly fades into pain as the person she loves is changing before her eyes.

He puts his hand up to her cheek and wipes away a tear. "Please don't cry. I hate to see you cry," he says.

She grabs his hand and pulls it away from her face forcefully. "I can't be here by you right now." She turns away, grabs her bag, and moves quickly to the classroom door.

"Nicole, wait!" He yells throwing his hand out as he tries to move closer. "I love you Nicole, I'm just afraid!"

Nicole spins around in her place by the door and let's the tears roll down her cheeks. Things have just taken an unexpected turn for the worse, and she has no idea how it happened so suddenly. She loves him too, but she doesn't know how it will work if he won't want to be anything more than some secret teacher/student relationship.

She exhales and controls her emotions so she can leave after saying one last thing.

"If you love me like you say you do," she pauses and takes in a deep breath.

"The only thing you should be afraid of is losing me."

-----------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys haha. I'm expecting everyone to be very upset with me right now for doing this but I felt like it needed to be done. Don't worry though it's all part of a plan! Everything will work out I swear!

Side note- I'm very sorry if this felt rushed and out of place but I split the chapter up into two and so the second half will come next.

Please Vote/Comment/& Save- it helps immensely and lets others find my story, Thanks! xx